Patchy plot question

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by jdhaines32, Sep 6, 2015.

1. jdhaines32

jdhaines32 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Two weeks ago, I planted a small plot of WI Pure Attraction oats, and winter pears with some brassicas. The rain we were supposed to get didn't really happen. I checked the plot yesterday and the growth is very patchy. Some spots have about 3" of growth. Others are just getting tinny green shoots, while other spots look totally barren. I was thinking of scratching up the bare spots and reseeding the bare spots but I'm not sure if the seed that was planted is still dormant due lack of rain and will take off after we get rain, or if it is done and I should reseed. I'm not sure if I should try reseeding what is bare or if it would be best to ride it out and hope for more rain. This is all new to me so looking for suggestions. It is calling a chance of showers and thunderstorms later I the week also.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  2. jdhaines32

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone else in this situation?

3. blacknwhite

blacknwhite Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Same situation here, unfortunately I don't have an answer for the problem. I over seed and we are supposed to get rain tomorrow. We will see what happens.

4. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Did you drill or broadcast?
    Are the turkeys very thick?
    Did you have a soil test and have you checked the pH?
    Answer these questions and we'll see what's up.
    We planted the same "type" of mix that we have a seed company near us mix for us. Strictly an economic decision. WI makes good stuff. Check out my post under Tornado Alley Plot in this same section. You can see where our plot is at today. We planted it on August 22nd.
    The reason I asked if you drilled or broadcast is that the peas and oats should be deeper than the brassica.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  5. jdhaines32

Dislikes Received:
    I broadcasted the seed with a hand spreader. I believe the bag aid to rake the seed in a 1/2" so that is what I tried to do. I don't know if someone it got raked I deeper than other areas and maybe has it behind. What came up didn't look bad given that is had one short showers on it in two weeks and that about 12 days after it was planted. I just didn't know if it would be best to try and take up the bare spots and reseed now, or if I should wait and see what the rain that we are supposed to get later in the week does for it if anything.

6. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure where you are, if you're up north you might get away with roughing the spots up and throwing in some brassicas/turnips or something like that but you're getting close to running out of time. Or some winter rye is always a guarantee to catch fire this time of year. Not the most nutritious or palatable forage but it will grow, and be green. They will eat it if food isn't abundant.

7. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It won't hurt to rake the areas that you are concerned and seed them again. Best way to learn at this stuff is try it and see what works.
    Also, keep a log of what you do and when.

8. jdhaines32

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in central Pa. The Pure Attraction that I planted has a plant date up to Sept 15 for my area.

9. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When you seed next time, apply a high phosphorus fertilizer along with it ( the middle number on the back is phosphorus )
    It aids in seed developement and will have get better girmmination. I'm not saying thats your problem here but it will help.