Choosing which stand to sit in

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by BowHuntingFever, Sep 4, 2015.

1. BowHuntingFever

BowHuntingFever Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just getting back into Bow hunting. 2nd year back in the stand, and I'm wondering what the rule of thumb is for windage and choosing a stand? Do you want the wind in your face, or at your back?

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Really depends on how you are setup and where you expect the deer to come from. For example if you are hunting the edge of a bedding area and you expect the deer to be coming from there you want the wind coming from the bedding are towards you. If you are expecting deer to be going there you would want the wind coming from the direction the deer will be traveling from say in that case a food source. Does that make sense?

3. BowHuntingFever

BowHuntingFever Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Got it perfectly. Thank you

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Like copperhead said it depends on the direction you think the deer will come from. This is why using trail cams is so key to me. Once I know the direction that deer enter my setup the most, then I hunt hat stand based on that wind. Meaning the wind will be blowing from the direction they are coming in, towards me. Yeah some deer will sneak up on you, but you increase your odds of getting a shot before you get winded.