Hunter Safety System Rope-Style Tree Strap

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by BowHuntingFever, Sep 4, 2015.

1. BowHuntingFever

BowHuntingFever Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all,

I'm new to the site, so forgive me if this has been asked before. I'm interested in purchasing one of these, but haven't been able to find much information on them.

How do they work? I'm assuming that you thread the rope ends thru each other around the tree, and then the end drops to the ground, and then you connect your harness to the loop in the Prussic Knot?
    Seems to simple, but maybe it just doesn't need to be that difficult?

Thanks for any info
    Troy

2. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You got it! It's called a lifeline. You can buy them at pretty much any outdoor/hunting store.

3. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    and worth every penny...

4. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    However you do need to climb 1 time UNTETHERED to install it. But you could use a climbing tree stand with a safety harness to install it the first time. Guys NEVER HUNT WITHOUT SOME KIND OF SAFETY HARNESS. I have been bow hunting 41 yrs. I had a stand become detached from the tree while hunting in NY a few yrs back. I was 22ft. up that harness saved me from serious injury or death. We wheel a friend out to the stand in his wheelchair every yr cuz at 26yrs. old he said "I don't need a safety harness I'm only going up 12 ft. He slipped from the stand breaking his neck. He is paralyzed from the chest down. he's in his 50's now.

5. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think the OP means the actual tree strap, not a lifeline. I use the rope style tree straps with my climbers because I like them better than web straps.

Tree strap:
    [​IMG]

Lifeline:
    [​IMG]

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^THIS^ A rope style tree strap is not a Lifeline. BowHuntingFever, you are right in how you use it. The rope will grab hold to almost all trees once you add pressure to it. On a birch tree it will not work well. Be sure if you use one on a pine tree that you clear the bark below it once you are fixed in the tree. If you turn to shoot it will rub the bark and make noise.

7. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    One thing I like to do with both life lines and rope style straps, is I thread the end of the rope through the loop twice. It cinches on the tail better and keeps it real snug to the tree.

8. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have never had a lifeline, but I do where a harness from Hunter Safety Systems. I plan on purchasing a pack of lifelines and a HHS tree strap. I am about 50/50 between hang-on and climbers

9. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought the HSS rope tree strap this season, thought it would be nicer than the traditional straps.. I've tried it out once just to see how it worked and it was very easy to use just as you explained it yourself.

10. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lifeline is the smartest investment in hunting gear you could ever make...I can't believe I ever climbed into stands without them. $30 to keep you from an accident and potential paralysis is cheap. A cushion for a wheelchair and the adult diapers will cost you way more than that. I have the linesmans belt too though and use it a lot both in setting up tree stands and once I'm in them I'll sometimes switch from the lifeline Prussic knot to the linesmans belt's Prussic up in the stand for comfort. Always hook into the tree strap first then disconnect from lifeline.

11. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Troy. The rope style tree strap and the lifeline, hook up the same way on the tree as you described.

The difference is that the tree strap is really short and you hook up to it once you're on stand. IMO its way better than a Web/Seat belt style strap because its simple to set up. No metal parts to clang around. But you'll need a line mans belt, to remain safe, every time you a climb the tree to hunt.

Don't know what your setups are but if you use Hang ons or Ladder stands, then the Life line is the way to go. You Hook up to it while on the ground and you're attached to it all the way up, while hunting, and all the way down.

12. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tip for the OP when hanging your lifeline the first time...you'll have to climb up the first time without being hooked in...use your linesmans strap for that climb...make sure to put the Prussic knot up at the top where the loop is...then once around the tree above your stand, thread the tag end through the loop drop it down to the ground and then you can make your descent down while connected to the Prussic sliding the knot down the line as you go. Then this is very important you must secure the bottom of the lifeline to a tree step or sturdy branch so that when you go to climb up the next time you can slide the Prussic knot up with you for the ascent to your stand. otherwise you can't slide the knot with just a loose rope hanging down.