Question about bleeder blades.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by BB4tw, Sep 4, 2015.

1. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I discovered something by accident. I'm sure it isn't new but it's new to me.

I'm shooting the 100 grain Phat Head. On a whim, I removed the bleeder blades and discovered that as a two blade double bevel they fly absolutely equal to my field points (If the field point arrow would have been turned any different, the broadhead would have shaved off the fletching.), they penetrate into the target farther, and they are easier to pull out which leads me to believe that they are doing more damage to the foam.

These observations are compared to how they did before removing the bleeders. Same arrow, same bow, same distance of 30 yards.

What reason do I have to keep the bleeders instead of shooting at a two blade?

2. jody5252

jody5252 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just a little less weight, maybe 5-10 grs. If they still fly the same, then by all means, use them like that... I have been doing it with some old bear razor heads, Magnus stingers and they fly great. However. You should try to test all of the heads.

3. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the reply, you pretty much confirmed what I was thinking.

While I haven't tried all the heads, I did try two different heads on two bows (mine and my son's) and got the same results both times. They fly just as good or better and penetration is improved which is a nice bonus for my son who is only pulling about 33 pounds.

4. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd agree with that. if he is only pulling 33 I'd remove the bleeder and go for all the penetration he can get.