SUV/Crossover Tires?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Rick James, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So I've gotta get Wifey some new tires for the family truckster. While I'm pretty up to speed on tires for trucks, I really know nothing about tires for an SUV/Crossover.

This is for a Toyota Highlander. She has the stock Yokohama's on there that now have about 26k miles and they are already close to being bald. I'd like to get her a new set in the next month or so.

Anyone done research on tires for a vehicle like this that can share some insight with me?

2. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    We went with Continental Crosscontact LX20's on my wife's 4runner, because the Yoko's were terrible, and it was one of the few wider footprint tires to fit a 20"x7" wheel that the limited uses. It was praised highly online and the 4runner forums.

Plus they were only about $160/piece with free two day shipping through Amazon :D

Too early for a snow report, but so far, we've put almost 7K miles on them and I'm very happy with them.

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've loved the Hankooks we've put on the wife Kia Sorento AWD. I am fairly certain I chose just a regular all terrain style and thing handles awesome in both dry and icey conditions with them and they hold up amazing well. Had some Yoko's on it when we bought it and experienced the same thing...didn't hold up like you'd expect. I can grab the actual model we have if I think of it when I am home tonight.