DSLR Camera

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by doepatrol2000, Sep 2, 2015.

1. doepatrol2000

doepatrol2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After about 10 years my mothers old camera broke and doesn't work anymore. It took crystal clear pictures and she loved that camera. Since my mom needs a new camera to take pictures and I want an upgrade for filming hunts we decided to get one together. What is a really good dslr camera that takes amazing footage in the woods and amazing pictures? Any help would be appreciated

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Self filming, or filming others?

Focusing it the biggest thing with DSLRs. Auto focus is horrendous on 99% of the models which requires you to focus manually. That's perfectly fine if you are filming someone, but if you are doing it yourself, you simply don't have enough hands.

If you want a good camera and aren't self filming, I'd go with a Canon T5i (or T6i or T3i) on the lower end or the Panasonic GH4 (4K video). If you are self filming, nothing beats the Canon 70D and it's auto focus system. That's what I shoot.

Also, keep in mind, you'll need room in the budget for a shotgun mic because all DSLR mics suck. Extra batteries or an external power supply is nice too. And don't skimp on the quality and speed of your SD cards.