My target for the year... what should I name him?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by dilbuck, Sep 2, 2015.

1. dilbuck

dilbuck Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My target for the year! And a question about buck population.

STC_0897.jpg STC_0898.jpg

Picture #1 and #2 are the best pictures I have of him. This is the third year I've been watching what I believe to be the same guy. I'm new to bowhunting (only my 2nd year) and I'm nervous if he would be my first shot. I'm confident in my ability but I've never bagged a deer with my bow. Should I maybe try and get a doe (if I can get a good clean shot) early in the season to alleviate the nerves? Any good names for this brute above? Picture #3 (Chuckles) is just a maybe but I think I'll let him go another year. I've thought about him only because I've seen 7 different bucks on this camera. Do I need to worry about thinning them out at all just cause of the quantity?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  2. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You'll always get buck fever. Keep practicing to be confident in your form and shooting ability and set a range that you are comfortable hunting in. If he steps in that range, take your time and just shoot like you practiced, and kill CHUCKLES. Sorry it looks like he's laughing in that pic. Nice Buck.

3. dilbuck

dilbuck Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I love the name "Chuckles" for the smaller of the two! And he definitely looks like he has a giant grin across his face!

4. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When they start loosing velvet and the rut rolls around they will split up. Having a lot of bucks is usually a good thing. It makes it easier to call them in. More competition for does and they don't want to loose out an any opportunity.

5. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think the nerves will go away. I'm more nervous when they are approaching but once I'm able to draw, everything seems to get a bit calmer and focus sets in. If there's no feeling of anxious, nervousness or excitement getting ready to shoot a good buck; it's time to hang it up and not hunt. To me it wouldn't fun anymore.

6. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The difference is learning to control it. If it ever go's away then you should quit bowhunting. Have faith in your equipment and know you can hit the center of the pie plate at 30 yards and less. Know the deers anatomy and were to aim is another key part. I usually like to go straight up from the crotch of their front leg which would put you right above the heart and into the lungs. If you spot him, just look away and calm yourself. Watch him out of the corner of your eye and plan your next steps. (If he gets to said spot, that's where I can draw...) ( Get to full draw, and pick that small spot you wanna hit right behind that shoulder and squeeze it off and follow through). DONT STARE AT THE HORNS! You will have plenty of time to look at them when he is down.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  7. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Name him stumpy

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think it's a good idea for new hunters to "pay their dues" so-to-speak, on does and non-trophy class bucks. There's no substitute for experience and killing a few that are less pressure intensive is good experience.

I don't get nervous at all when any deer comes in at this point. I take my time, enjoy watching it, decide where I want to take a shot and how I want to proceed to draw on him and make it happen. If something happens that screws it up, I just figure that's the way it goes and that I'll get another opportunity, no biggie.

9. flatwoodshunter

flatwoodshunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When you see a Buck, as soon as you decide you want to shoot him, concentrate on the shot placement (not the antlers). I would not worry about thinning because you have seen 7 different Bucks on one camera, remember they are in groups this time of year.

10. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I know this may sound simple but I would say to you, pick a spot and don't shoot at the whole deer. If you do, you'll end up gut shooting it. The best of luck to you this season.

Blessings...........Pastorjim

11. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like he's wearing a crown so I'd call him the King...good luck

12. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am new(er) to the sport, too. This is my third full season...and I still have yet to kill a deer.

Everyone says, your first deer you'll have problems pulling your bow back. I always though "yeah, right"....well, they were right. So as I struggled to pull back I got it back and "shot" towards the deer. Yeah....well....there is a thing on a bow called a peep site. They're important. Deer just stood there. I nocked another arrow and did the same thing. Once I realized what I did, and the deer was still there, I said, you're lucky...and just let her go on her way. Lesson learned year #1 - breathe.

Last year I was able to pull back on a doe, was just waiting for her to get in the opening when I heard something behind me. Well, it was a buck. So I slowly turned and waited. By the time I realized it wasn't a legal buck, I turned around just in time to see the doe trot off. Lesson learned in year #2 - shoot your first target.

It's still early in the game - awesome to have some bucks - but just wait until you're in the tree. Especially with your first one! Don't need to get your head too big.

13. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm disappointed Covey.. I still get nervous and a rush of adrenaline when I see a yearling step out into the open lol. I've been hunting for 17 years (archery for 5 years) and I hope that feeling never goes away. Your nerves must be shot from all the damn work you do lol.

To answer the OP, that rush of adrenaline is inevitable for most and it's sometimes very hard to compose yourself. You might even find yourself freeze up because the adrenaline will be that intense and you'll get caught up in the moment. But like most have said, just take your time and rely on all the practice you've done in the pre-season to take over. Covey is full of bad information, he's a numb old man lmao.

14. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There's actually a lot of truth in that even though you were mostly joking around. I quit bow hunting for three years because it lost some of it's excitement to me and because of work. The time off was good for me.
    I still get excited to look at deer and I get excited to down them, both doe and bucks, I just don't get nervous about it. :lol:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  15. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    2 years ago on opening day of bow season I sat in a spot that their were acorns. I ended up seeing the Smallest buck I had on cam the entire summer. He only had 1 antler that was about 6 inches. I think he was a little 3 pointer if I remember correctly. Needless to say, even though I knew I wasn't going to shoot him I was so Fricken hyped up with buck fever that my legs were shaking, I could hear my heartbeat in my ears. I calmed myself down after a bit but that is what its all about. Granted if he was a shooter I would have went into Stealth mode and focused on what needed to be done but the point is, I still got buck fever and hope I NEVER lose it, I just want to be able to control it better.

16. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Name him "Dinner"

17. dilbuck

dilbuck Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks all of you for the words of encouragement. Even though I'm a seasoned gun hunter I know that the first one is going to be the finest regardless of doe/buck trophy/non. I drew back on one last year but never got the shot that I really wanted and I'd much rather let the deer go free than forcing a shot. I'll make sure to remember all of your advice about seeing through the shot. I do it well with a rifle so I'm hoping that laser focus will extend into bow hunting as well although I'll definitely admit the fever is still there initially. This same deer last year I saw a few times bow hunting but he was about 50 yards away. I'm definitely going to wait for inside 30 as that is my really comfortable level. Best of luck to all of you in your upcoming hunt this year!

18. T FERG

T FERG Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    name him snuffy. i have no advice on nerves i have the worst buck fever on the planet. i need to trade half and half with coveymaster