Farmer thinning woods right at beginning of season NEED Advise

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by skids4life, Sep 2, 2015.

1. skids4life

skids4life Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Gents,

Farmer / mother in law decided to thin the 80 acres I hunt starting the week before season and estimated end to be last week of early archery. The woods are surrounded by bean fields on three sides and 1 two lane road on the far side going to a state park. I can still hunt the property while the tree harvesters are not working. Question is with all this work going on what would you suspect the deer are going to do and what would you recommend for morning and evening hunts?

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Most likely you will see short term changes while the work is taking place ....and everything should return to normal shortly after the woods are vacated..... In the long run its a good thing as it will open up areas for new growth. While this is taking place try to hunt the fringes that are seeing less intrusion ...

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Higher density of brows will occur...next year you will love they did it...temporarily it will adjust movements like trial stated, not necessarily a bad thing but it will be different.

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If they are leaving the tree tops down for any time, hunt the night after they cut, where they cut. Deer love fresh browse :tu:

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Prior posts all nailed it.

6. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Find where they are starting and setup away from them on an edge somewhere. the work will slowly push the deer out of the land as they progress through. If you are lucky you can catch them as they migrate through or out. Once the cutting is done, keep ahead of the growth and you should be able to control bedding areas and travel paths pretty well.

7. skids4life

skids4life Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone. I went out today and took a look at the work thus far they have cut a huge path through the middle up to 2/3 of the block and finger paths along the sides. They're going to make a big T there and finger out that back end. I've talked to the cutter and explained to him the situation that I've worked this woods for QDM (quality deer management) about 4 years. Found he's an avid hunter as well, overall he plans to cut the woods as needed and he would also hook me up with a few spots cleared out for deep woods food plots and funnels in and out of hot zones for beds. "QDM Hunter to QDM Hunter"

8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Logging trails can be great spots for food plots...or allowed to lush up naturally for cover and brows.

9. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pay close attention to where the White oak are cut.. Deer will be on them eating right out of the tops as soon as it settles down...

10. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    OH man, we had a oak tree fall out into an alfalfa field right smack infront of a trail camera just last week or so....HUNDREDS of photos of deer coming and just devouring the fresh growth tips of the tree....exactly why nearly every winter we'll hinge a tree or two (or 10) over a month during harsh times because it truly does create food access to the deer during a time frame where food is scarce.

11. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks to all the posters; I'll be dealing with the same issue this fall. The PO of the plot I hunt in WI sold 50% of the hardwoods. They just started cutting last week, supposed to be done by opening day. I know it will be very helpful in the long term. Hopefully they get back to their normal patterns quick. We shall see...

12. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Something else to consider. deer love to bed in fresh cut tree tops, they will bed with their backs to the top , even more so if you have several in close proximity they become favorite doe group bedding areas. They will use them for a few years( two...or three) and then they seem to vacate them as they start rotting out.

13. choppernut

choppernut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's pretty awesome he's a hunter too. I know a couple logging companies that do a lot of federal work and they definitely know what the deer like!! Im sure he'll help out your property for sure, especially now that he knows your a bow hunter!!! Good Luck!!!

14. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hate to give bad news from my perspective......

But the experience on our farm has been nothing but negative from logging. Portions were taken in '08, '13, '14, and '15 and the deer have all but vacated certain areas of the farm now.

Some of the first cut areas have now grown up thick that offer some bedding and they are starting to utilize them finally. But also, most of the new growth has been the terribly invasive bush honeysuckle that makes the woods an absolute mess.

15. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was just about to type this until I read this. We had some of our hardwoods thinned out and the trash they left behind became excellent bedding/cover.

16. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    interesting. didn't notice the same on our farm. Do you think it got over logged?

17. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes...

18. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Happen to us last year on our least deer moved to the other side the property and took till almost January to get back to the area they cut. But not all places are the same. I've hunted other places and the deer would not come close while the guys worked but soon as they left for the day the deer where back in the spot they where logging and continued that pattern daily.

19. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Be extra careful and pay CLOSE attention to hanging tree tops and tree's that may be leaning on others. You'll be playing with fire walking into logging woods. Dangerous stuff.

Good luck hunting the logging trails. We had pines thinned 3 years ago and I was able to take a hit list buck that year. He used the edge of a thicket and a thinned trail to stay mostly hidden.