Car troubles - help please

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BigPhil_H, Sep 2, 2015.

1. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 92 Toyota Camry with 254,000 miles. Driving to school the other day, I saw my temperature gauge spike but then return to normal. I went to class, let it cool down and checked my fluid, it was nearly empty. I filled it up, brought it to the shop and they replaced my radiator, only $54. I specifically asked, even if it's not the radiator that's leaking, will you see the leak if it's one of the hoses, he assured me that he would. Apparently, it's not the radiator nor the hoses. He said that he thinks that it is the head gasket and he put something in my radiator that's supposed to run throughout and fix any leaks or cracks but my temp. gauge rose again this morning? Does this make sense? What else could it be? A full radiator and coolant reservoir is leaking out in about a day. Thanks

2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thermostat could be sticking, water pump could be on the way out.

A good shop should have done a pressure test before throwing a radiator in. Did they say why they chose that route first?

3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Also could try swapping the cooling fan relay with another one.

Troubleshooting ovdr the internet is hard. Do you notice coolant leaks in the drive? Does the overflow have coolant in it? Diagnosing is a bit easier to narrow down if it is none whether it is being pushed out, restriction, or leaking out, component failure.

Some cars need to have the coolant aystem bled similar to brakes. If there is air trapped in that type of system it can do similar things.

4. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do not recommend putting that stuff in your radiator to fix leaks....it can cause other issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    But it will fix the leak..... :D

6. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not worth it for long term.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    As said before most cooling fans are not belt driven, you should hear or feel the cooling fan kick in when the temp goes above normal. First step do not bring your car back to that mechanic, he is a hack.

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Coolant additive generally only works a small percentage of the time. The coolant has to be going somewhere if it's low again. It should be leaving puddles under it after it sits a few hours if it's losing it that fast. I'd take it to a different shop, that guy sounds like an idiot and he gigged you on the radiator. I'd be surprised if he even replaced it at that price. Labor alone would generally run that much. A coolant problem like that should be easy to find, maybe no easy to fix but easy to find.

9. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    fill it up and leave it parked overnight, if there are no puddles and it is still full in the morning than your main hoses are probably good. There is a kit you can buy which has a dye and UV light. You put the dye in and run the engine and use the light, if there is an external leak you should see it.

Is the exhaust have more white smoke? smell the exhaust, if coolant is leaking into the cylinders the exhaust smells different. If the level only goes down while running, than I would look at head gasket also.

10. BigPhil_H

Dislikes Received:
    To answer everyone's questions in one post to provide more insight:

-cls74-The thermostat was replaced when he put the new radiator in.
    -the reservoir is always empty when my car overheats, so I'm guessing that the radiator is pulling it, but leaking out after it makes a cycle.
    -If I'm right, I have two cooling fans that are right behind the radiator but they only spin, and they spin the entire time when I push the button for my A/C, not just when it's running hot. I think he told me that was for the "condenser" - whatever that's for.
    -I think the coolant is only leaking when I drive as I have not seen any puddles under my car afterwards.

11. cr422

cr422 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do not delay getting this checked out by someone competent.

I was losing fluid in my S10 Blazer and couldn't figure out from where. Then one day I checked the oil. Yup, that was where my coolant was going. Had my intake manifold gasket replaced immediately, but it was too late. Engine went out about a month later.

If you can't find out where it's going, it's getting into the engine somehow. Hope for your sake it's not somewhere causing damage.

12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If the head gasket is blown, you'll know it pretty quick. Often times your oil will be milky sure sign. If not you'll see coolant leaking out of the side of the manifold or exhaust.

I'd reccomend getting a pressure test done on the system. Usually about half hours labor charged for doing it

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    At 254,000 miles it was a nice run.

14. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Find a shop that cares. Sorry I hate guys who throw parts at something

15. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A head gasket can leak it directly into the combustion chamber and burn it through the exhaust but they normally smoke a lot when that happens but that scenario can abscond with it without showing much evidence of loss. (except of course the level getting low)

Of course check your oil for signs of coolant, it'll look milky.

If you're losing it while driving then it's either going out the overflow from compression gas into the coolant system (head gasket) or it's leaking into the combustion chambers and burning out the exhaust (again...head gasket).

Any leaky hoses would leave some puddles somewhere.

16. BigPhil_H

Dislikes Received:
    There's not any smoke coming out of my exhaust and I check my oil when I got to work earlier and it looks brand new, no milky coloration. I put a big piece of card board under my car while at work and I only had two spots about the size of a half dollar but a foot away from each other. Possibly two leaks? Who knows, I'll take it to the shop tomorrow