Is my DL too long?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by JamesC, Sep 2, 2015.

1. JamesC

JamesC Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I'm a real newb to archery, I picked up my bow 2 years ago (Mathews Creed) but due to some health issues with my wife this is my first year that I am getting to shoot seriously.

When I bought my bow the pro shop measured me up and had to special order a lefty since I'm cross eye dominant. I've added a D-loop and been shooting daily but I have issues with the bow jumping forward on me. From what I can tell that is usually due to too long a DL...Could it just be adding the D-loop made it too long or will my only option be to get a new cam? I am scheduling a private lesson with the shop and hope to get all this worked out then but I fear they will have to order me a new cam and delay my first ever hunting season :(

2. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    D loop doesn't change the bow's draw length, just your anchor point.

3. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Can you have someone take a side view of you at full draw? Usually when looking through your peep the string should be pretty close to the tip of your nose. Not always but close. I've seen lots of guys with draw lengths waaaay to long and they wonder why they cant be consistent.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    When some people start out they do tend to have that forward creep it comes from snapping the shot and peeking to see where the arrow hit. Develop a follow thru after the shot and don't peek you will notice that creep disappears.

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't mean to be captain obvious but the bow has a lot to do with the issue, certain bows and even brands of bows have little to no valley, regardless of the the set draw length.
    So in order to answer the question we need more info, as was stated above a picture of you at full draw in profile and with the bow totally horizontal( level ) . Next it would help to have the make and model of the bow so we would have an indication as to what valley( dwell zone) it does have an if there is a way to add some more valley to it...

6. JamesC

JamesC Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I can try to have my wife take a shot of me this evening and report back. I don't have a peep currently but I use a kisser in the corner of my mouth and the sting does hit my nose.

This is more of when I am holding the draw sometimes it will jump forward some without me intentionally doing it. I have lowered the poundage some since I am drawing with my weak hand. It seems like I am not really hitting the back wall as I should.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry forgot that you mentioned you are shooting off handed, going to take patience and time.

8. JamesC

JamesC Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No problem, I am going to try to get my wife to snap a pic later this evening. The bow I stated in the OP is a 2013 Mathews Creed. I appreciate all the responses so far :)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  9. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    FTR, my Creed doesn't jump.

Get those pics up. Maybe even a video of you shooting. Then we can really see whats going on :tu:

10. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Get a peep installed, you will be 10x more accurate (my opinion) I would go with a 1/4" peep to start on the bigger side.

11. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    From a review of the Creed

The Creed single cam bow is designed for hunting. While drawing the bow, shooters experience a smooth draw from start to finish. There are no noticeable humps in the draw cycle, and the weight seems to be evenly distributed throughout as well. Shooters will notice a significant let off into the back wall, which may take some getting used to. With a limb assisted draw stop, the back wall on the Creed is solid for sure. However, the valley of the Creed is rather short. Shooters will not be able to creep much at all without the string wanting to move forward. A short valley is not a bad thing as it reinforces proper shooting technique, and after spending some time shooting the Creed, the draw is very comfortable. However, it may take a few shots for shooters to become comfortable, especially if they are used to a longer valley

12. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry but the creed doesn't have much in the way of a valley, and there isn't any way to adjust it significantly. Your forced to pull against the single limb stop. So in that regard there isn't much you can do.

The draw length is a separate issue and it may or may not need to be adjusted.

13. JamesC

JamesC Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you guys, this is all good information. I'm going to be taking some private lessons to work on my form and will also look into getting a peep installed. Being so new I'm really trying to practice every day and learn all I can :)

14. JamesC

JamesC Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I was able to get my wife to snap a pic, not sure if this helps. It was dark by the time the kids went to bed so this is the best I could do.

[​IMG]

15. JamesC

JamesC Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been working on relaxing my grip and not locking my elbow since I have been getting slapped on my forearm, but thats mostly when the bow has been jumping forward. :(

Any tips are much appreciated!

16. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Your draw doesn't look to long to me. Probably just not used to holding on the draw stop. I don't know if it's just the picture but your grip looks a little off. I usually like my knuckles at about a 45° angle. It might take some getting used to. Check this out http://www.fieldandstream.com/artic...nting-accuracy?&dom=fas&loc=hpslider2&lnk=IMG someone posted this a few weeks ago. A lot of the things he does I do and for the most part it's worked out but I'm no Levi Morgan.

17. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your draw length from the picture looks pretty close to me. The fact you are slapping your arm is a good indication some times the DL is too long. If it is its not by much. The Creed has two draw stops. I skinny one and a fat one. The fat one will shorten your DL a little.

Like others said from the sounds of it you are creeping forward and the Creed has a short valley. Least mine did. I used to do this a lot too at first but then started looking at back tension and holding the bow at anchor. I put my finger behind the trigger and practice holding the bow at full draw as long as I could. Once i figured out back tension things got a little easier.

As a last resort, if your budget will allow might want to look into a Chill X or a Elite Energy. Both of those have a nice valley.

18. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Also its hard to tell but your front should seems a little low too. You want to look like a T if possible. With your should like it is you are more than likely using muscle tension to hold the bow and that could lead to creeping.

19. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im I big fan of being on the bit short side on my draw length. with a good bend in my elbow, I am able to hold much much much steadier on the target. Thats just my opinion, I know alot of guys get all weird about having your draw length on the short side. just play around with it.

20. JamesC

JamesC Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm definitely going to keep working on my grip as I think that's definitely part of my problem as well as just holding my draw. I'm hoping to get to the pro shop this week to have them take a look at my form as well.

Thank you all for the help so far, gonna keep practicing with all the advice given.