Deer don't have "Hard Horns"

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by tynimiller, Sep 2, 2015.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    And....we've reached the time of naivety amongst our whitetail brethren. The social media giant has fueled the flames of the hashtag HardHorned to the point of no return.

Just an informational post for anyone that may not know:

ANTLERS ARE NOT HORNS AND HORNS ARE NOT ANTLERS

((**I will add this addition: this post is not to be taken too seriously, it is mainly in jest as this is a pet peeve term to me, and like many pet peeves they're personally driven in nature....I fully know to many, most, if not all others it is of little to no concern :D ))​

Plenty of sources illustrate and explain this but here's a to the point short article: http://mentalfloss.com/article/55244/whats-difference-between-antlers-and-horns

Pasted below too so you don't need to click:

Antlers are found on the heads of male members of the deer family (with the exception of the reindeer, where the females also sport the pointy headgear). They're made of bone and sprout from the pedicle, a bony platform-type of growth located just above the animal’s skull.

Antlers begin growing in late April, and usually reach full size by August. While they’re growing, the antlers are covered with “velvet,” a fuzzy layer of flesh that supplies blood to the bony growths. Once the antlers are fully grown, the velvet dries up, and the deer strips it off by rubbing against a tree.

During mating season, males use their racks to fight other males; the bigger a male's antlers, the more likely he is to find a mate. When the season ends, usually in late December, the entire pedicle breaks loose from the deer’s head and his antlers are shed as a complete set. And while shed antlers make trendy coat hooks, you’re upsetting the balance of nature if you bring them home: Mice, squirrels, porcupines and other small animals all eat the discarded antlers in order to get much-needed calcium.

Horns, on the other hand, grow constantly throughout the life of the animal (goats, sheep, oxen, and bison) and are never shed. Horns consist of tubular filaments of keratin, the same substance found in human hair and nails. Unlike antlers, horns only have one point (save for the pronghorn sheep), and if a point tip is broken off, it never reforms and remains blunted

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  2. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Whitetail deer and anything related to them are all very unique as are thr horned species as well but in there own way thanks for sharing!!

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What's the point?

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Shed shaming? Good grief.

5. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Bahaha not at all guys, it is more in jest than anything. I personally despise the term Hard Horned...nothing more than a jest really because I know pet peeves are usually simply personal

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just can't wait until they shed their felt and get their hard horns.

7. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Not gonna lie I laughed pretty good... :lmao:

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Stop it.

9. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Also neither can Pat :D I actually think his hatred for the term is what fueled mine indirectly....

10. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    And excavators, backhoes and skid steers aren't dozers...we all have our little annoyances.

11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Wait...what is a bobcat then? :evilgrin:

12. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen female whitetails with antlers so your information is technically wrong...and it annoys me...should I create a thread about it?

13. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    A bobcat: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobcat
    Bobcat
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    For other uses, see Bobcat (disambiguation).
    Bobcat[1]
    Bobcat2.jpg
    Conservation status

Least Concern (IUCN 3.1)[2]
    Scientific classification
    Kingdom: Animalia
    Phylum: Chordata
    Class: Mammalia
    Order: Carnivora
    Family: Felidae
    Genus: Lynx
    Species: L. rufus
    Binomial name
    Lynx rufus
    (Schreber, 1777)
    Bobcat Lynx rufus distribution map.png
    Bobcat range[3]
    Synonyms

Felis rufus Schreber

The bobcat (Lynx rufus) is a North American mammal of the cat family Felidae that appeared during the Irvingtonian stage of around 1.8 million years ago (AEO).[4] Containing 12 recognized subspecies, it ranges from southern Canada to central Mexico, including most of the continental United States. The bobcat is an adaptable predator that inhabits wooded areas, as well as semidesert, urban edge, forest edges, and swampland environments. It remains in some of its original range, but local populations are vulnerable to extirpation by coyotes and domestic animals. The bobcat is vital for controlling pest populations. With a gray to brown coat, whiskered face, and black-tufted ears, the bobcat resembles the other species of the mid-sized Lynx genus. It is smaller on average than the Canada lynx, with which it shares parts of its range, but is about twice as large as the domestic cat. It has distinctive black bars on its forelegs and a black-tipped, stubby tail, from which it derives its name.

Though the bobcat prefers rabbits and hares, it will hunt anything from insects, chickens, geese and other birds and small rodents to deer. Prey selection depends on location and habitat, season, and abundance. Like most cats, the bobcat is territorial and largely solitary, although with some overlap in home ranges. It uses several methods to mark its territorial boundaries, including claw marks and deposits of urine or feces. The bobcat breeds from winter into spring and has a gestation period of about two months.

Although bobcats have been hunted extensively by humans, both for sport and fur, their population has proven resilient though declining in some areas. The elusive predator features in Native American mythology and the folklore of European settlers.

14. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Ain't my info, just pasted from the article. I noticed that too...and yes I'm bugged as well :evilgrin:

15. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I get a boner that's not actually bone either....Do I need to elaborate???

16. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I find it annoying when someone say that but I actually caught myself saying it once. I was like did I really just say that. It must be rubbing off of everyone else saying it.

17. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive got my own pet peeve but it far from angers me. Me and my buddies just have fun with it.... its the term "Shooter Buck". Now we call everything "Shooter". It could be a "Shooter Doe", "Shooter Goose" "Shooter squirrel" yada yada.

18. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Me and my buddies occasionally do this too.
    My pet peeve is the "cull buck". The only way I have ever or will ever take a deer because it is a "cull" is if it has some bad injury.
    I shot a forked horn that scored 105 and change a few years back. 5.5 years old. It had brow tines just under an inch. That deer was a unique trophy to me, not a lowly "cull". Just my .02

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

19. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Amen! My favorite buck was a 7.5 year old with a 22 inch inside spread but still only scored around 120. He just didnt have it in him to produce anymore. One side had a super long g2 and about 1 inch g3 g4. The other side was opposite. 1" g1 g2 and super long g3.

20. janesburg

janesburg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Fork scored 105? Got a picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk