New Climber Suggestions

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jordanpolk09, Sep 2, 2015.

1. jordanpolk09

jordanpolk09 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Last year I bought a summit viper SD. Last night I went and grabbed it from my parents and completely forgot to take it out of my truck bed when I got back home. I had a strange feeling this morning when I was walking out to the truck that it wasn't going to be there and needless to say (given the title of the thread) it had been stolen.

This means I am now in the market for a new climber. I was just curious if there is anything better out now than last year. After looking around quickly online this morning looks to be the same as last year. If nothing else strikes my fancy looks like I'll be purchasing another viper this week.

2. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It depends on what you're looking for. I have a Summit and a Lone Wolf Hand Climber. The Lone Wolf is much easier to pack and carry. It feels much lighter on your back. The downside is that it's a little more labor intensive to climb because the seat is so small. It also is not as comfortable as the summit. But for my needs, the Lone Wolf usually wins out due to how light and quiet it is to carry in.

3. jordanpolk09

jordanpolk09 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been looking at the lone wolf/xop stands some this morning. They seem like a good option. I like the way they pack compared to my summit. Thanks for the suggestion!

4. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just bought the LW hand climber this year and love it so far. Lightweight and packs down to nothing. The LW seats never bothered me but you could always get a padded seat.

If you're a member on eders (bowhunting.com shop) then you'll be able to get it on discount.

5. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bummer about your stand, thieves suck!

I have been using a LW handclimber since 2009. I have owned a bunch of stands but this one is the only stand I have kept longer than a season or two. I like firm seats even on my motorcycles so I don't mind the LW seat at all.

6. jordanpolk09

jordanpolk09 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input everyone. Looks like the hand climber will be the way to go. I hunt a lot of public land early and late season with very few all day sits during those times.

Looks like my planned $250 camera arm and fluid head purchase for the day will turn into a $600 purchase. Just when I was thinking I had everything I could possibly need for hunting.... :p.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  7. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's crazy that the only person that would want a climber is another hunter and this person is going to hunt out of a climber he stole. That is just asking for your karma to kill you.

I love my Summit Viper SD but would buy one of their wider ones next time. It fits me but it's tight.

8. jordanpolk09

jordanpolk09 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Its entirely my fault and was preventable, which is what aggravates me more than it actually being stolen. Just completely forgot by the time I got home to take it inside or put it in the cab. The person probably didn't even know what it was.

Just saw it as something accessible and able to be sold. Time to browse craigslist, pawn shops, the local flea mark and a have a stakeout!! Haha

9. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Finally caved and bought the LW Hand climber II last year...I'm now another LW devotee (at least as far as climbers go.)
    Can hike in just about anywhere now.

10. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  11. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's your fault that some POS decided to take something that was in the back of your truck? I don't think so..

Hope you get your stand back.

12. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought the Summit Cobra SD (had the Summit Switchblade prior which was stolen and almost identical to the newer Vipers), arrived Fedex today! Like a kid on Christmas morning I had it out of the box the second I got it inside.. Got it set up, slipped on my harness and went out to the closest tree I could climb and went 25 feet up and just sat there for about 20 min... First thing I noticed is it is noticeably lighter than my switch blade (advertised as the lightest climbing stand made by Summit), what I like about it the most is it's open in the front and doesn't have the bar which makes it more ideal for archery hunting with a traditional or compound bow.. It was quick and easy to set up and climb just like any other Summit treestand and very comfortable as well.. Would recommend it for anyone looking for a new climber.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  13. doublehelix8

doublehelix8 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  14. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There is no stand better for an all day sit than a Summit IMO. The only thing the LW has on Summit is that is more compact for packing in and little lighter.