Trees to tree stand location

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Trx450ayers, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Trx450ayers

Trx450ayers Newb

Dislikes Received:
    When out trying to find the perfect tree stand location do you pay attention to what trees that are around you such as finding oak trees and making sure you have white and z red to allow feed all year or just choosing a location not based on the trees around you

2. seangarchery

seangarchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    O yeah I pay attention to that and more. Take a pair of binoculars with you so you can see if the the oaks are producing acorns. The deer like the white oaks better. Also pay attention to trail intersections, funnels, saddles or any terrian feature that will narrow them down. Pay attention to what wind direction is best for that location when picking a tree and think about the best way to get in and out of that spot without bumping deer. Deer will hit oaks best in the early season or right after the first frost when they first start dropping good. When the does start to come into heat focus more on funnels in high doe concentration areas and doe bedding areas thou.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The acorns are pretty much gone and eaten before it is time to climb up in a tree.

4. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I look for trail intersections and funnels and how easy it will be to get to and from stand more than I look for what trees are around me, but I still take that into consideration. And I actually spend a lot of time looking for a tree that will be comfortable to sit in for several hours.

5. turkish621

turkish621 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I look for a tree that provides me a good entrance and exit, something that will give me a few shooting lanes, and enough cover that I do not stick out while sitting up in it.

6. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    To answer your question, not really. I mean I like it if I can find a good tree to hunt out of that has acorns or any other sort of natural vegetation I will try and take advantage of it. But I don't put it ahead of the following:

1. Good entry exit - I go to great links to find stands that allow for good entry and exit. I will utilize creeks and ditches always. I have used a small paddle boat to cross lakes to get to low pressure hunting areas.

2. Good background cover - a lot of times I will select a tree for a new stand when I am doing my shed hunting. The reason being, a tree with good cover in the winter might require a lot of trimming in the summer but it is sure to have good back ground cover.

3. BIG TREES! I love big trees with big branches. This might require me to use ratchet straps on my climbing sticks or screw in steps but I find that bigger trees do a better job of concealing my silloete in the tree, they are easier to hang stands in because you can use the branches for leverage and those same branches that you utilize in hanging the stand do a great job of hiding you while drawing back on a deer before it walks into a shooting lane.

4. Wind direction in relation to the trails, creeks, crossings, ditches, bedding areas that I think the deer are utilizing. This is difficult because it is a lot to take into account. You want to get set up on the side of a tree that allows you to see the most all while being on the side of the tree that plays into your draw (right handed or left handed).

Those are really the 4 things that I like to focus on when hanging a tree.

7. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll hunt areas with oak if that's what you mean - but also hunt areas without oaks.

The ideal set up would be in a huge oak tree but they're never in the right spot.

8. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I owe last seasons success to white oaks, so yes I pay attention to that.. But as others said there are other variables that are just as important.

9. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think the key to having success before the rut in early season is to locate the mast producers in your woods...I think you can go out and find the trees in your hunting area, but they don't all produce every year, and they differ in when they drop. It may take you a few seasons to locate the trees that produce for you. If you can find them dropping though the deer will be there. This is a good place to set up for the October "lull". In my neck of the woods they prefer white and burr first then move to the reds/blacks. I went to a park yesterday and there was a big bur oak raining acorns all over the parking lot...seemed early but they are starting to drop.

10. Trx450ayers

Trx450ayers Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i have a background in forestery and i do pay a lot of attention on what trees that are around me i was woundering if more people pay attation to what trees are around when setting up a stand.

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^THIS^