Standing or sitting when shooting deer

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ruteger, Sep 1, 2015.

1. ruteger

ruteger Guest

-

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020
  2. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think one of the best things to do is practice once or twice shooting out of your stand, find out how comfortable you feel shooting while sitting. With that said, sometimes you have to stand to take the shot. The keyword in bow hunting is patience, moving quickly is usually what gets you busted. Slowly standing up while the deer is looking away from you, or while its head is behind a tree is the best time to move.

Try practicing standing very slowly and precisely. I like to practice standing a few times in my tree so I get a feel for how to do it quietly. I also like to leave my bow in my lap, arrow nocked and the release on, so that all I have to do is stand up and make the shot, But that is just me.

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer to stand and shoot. I will do so unless it is not possible for me to. When you first see the deer walking in and he is not looking your way, stand up slowly. If the deer happens to walk in and you never saw or heard him walk in, wait until he walks by and stand slowly. If you plan on shooting from a seated elevated position, make sure you practice that way. Your shot angle changes drastically when you are not able to stand and bend at the waist; especially when the deer in close to your stand. When you first get in your stand and you are set for the hunt, practice standing slowly and getting your bow. I use the back of my legs to raise the seat as I stand so I can stand as close to the tree as possible. I hope this helps!! :tu:

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Both deer I shot last year I shot while sitting. It depends on cover, the deer's attitude, how many deer there are, etc., if I try to stand. Honestly I am usually standing because of my bad back, but both deer last year I just happened to be sitting.

5. Il_public_land_hunter

Il_public_land_hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Most of the time I shoot sitting. I have stood a couple times but that was only because the deer were behind me. I practiced a lot this way. I also use a climber and leave my bow on the wrap around rail. Thats enough movement by itself when a deer just pops out. Dont want any other movement scaring them.

6. cdcj

cdcj Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot sitting down most of the time. I still bend at the waist. I hunt some pretty thick areas, so I do not see deer until they are within 30 yards at times. This does not allow me to stand, so I started practicing a lot sitting. I do not stand prolonged periods either due to multiple knee surgeries and a knee replacement. I am comfortable shooting either way. As another poster said, practice both sitting and standing. I get in a tree in the yard and practice on my 3-d buck target.

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have done both....I would say 85/15 standing to sitting,....

8. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly I setup most of my stands so that I can shot sitting down. Mostly because its less movement. I practice shooting standing and sitting on a 5 gallon bucket. Also a good test to see if you are shooting to much weight. I am right handed so I point my left shoulder where I think the shot will be. That way I just raise the bow, draw, settle the pin and shoot with as little movement as possible.

I will stand if they come in from an angle I can't shoot.

9. bowhuntingbebout

bowhuntingbebout Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I stand for the majority of time in the stand. Leaning against the tree and sitting occasionally to give my legs a rest. If it's slow and little activity I'll sit mostly. It all depends on what's going on with the deer.

10. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I also prefer to shoot while standing but I have shot deer while seated. I'll stand up as soon as I see a deer but after I confirm that there aren't other deer with it that will spot me. It does take practice to do it slowly and quietly. I had a buck about 45 yards out on opening day a few years ago. I stood up to shoot but the deer was to my right so I had to turn and face the tree. The heel of my boot caught part of the platform of the stand and made a click noise. The deer instantly locked sight on me while I was mid-turn/crouch and we stood absolutely still for over 3 minutes. It doesn't seem long until 1. There's a buck in front of you, and 2. You hold a turning crouch squat for that long without moving.

I will also stress the importance of practicing shooting from a stand with a 3D target. You will really find out where you need to aim at a deer at various yardages and heights in the tree. Practice every way you can. Known distances, unknown distances, in the tree, on the ground, through narrow shooting lanes, any situation that could arise in the field.

11. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I practice sitting and standing. However I hve never shot at anything sitting

12. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I also prefer to shoot standing up because that's how I practice and I'm much more comfortable. I'm not sure if I would even take the shot sitting down because I haven't ever practiced that way. As SharpEyeSam said, if you think that you might have to shoot sitting down, practice that way.

13. Work-to-hunt

Work-to-hunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I am not 100% that deer won't see me move i will stand as should most people you will shoot better standing up however if I think the deer will see me move I will shoot sitting down you should practice both so you can be prepared

14. flatwoodshunter

flatwoodshunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also prefer standing but I practice both from a treestand. Just remember to draw in the T position and bend at the waist to get on target, standing makes this easier for me.

15. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like shooting while sitting down. I feel like it allows me more time to make a good shot once I draw, it has happened more than once where I draw expecting the deer to continue walking a certain path and it decides it wants to turn. So now I am at draw without a good shot. I can hold the draw for a long time without getting tired, but my front arm holding up is another story. So by sitting, I lower the bow enough to rest it on my knee until the deer decides to cooperate. than I only have to lift it up a few inches.

16. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like others both occur for me, usually if I don't get handcuffed I prefer to stand but have shot deer sitting down, it helps to practice and make sure your cam isn't close to anything it can grab like an article of clothing or pocket when shooting seated. Happened to me once and threw my bow outa my hand and nocked the string off the cam and wheel. I was young and didn't know any better.

17. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I try to stand if I have time, but I practice a lot seated. Everyone should know they can shoot from the seated position, it's a little harder especially if your bibs or harness is even slightly binding your shoulders.

18. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot seated and standing. Depends on the situation. As others have said practice and be prepared, watch your bow clearance. Also as others have stated, do not move suddenly, slow and deliberate is better and wait until deer have their head turned away from you or are behind a tree to stand.

19. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I should have added I have a stand set at home to practice out of and I practice sitting as much as standing. I really don't shoot any different until I try and turn sharply to my left.

20. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like to sit.