cellular trail cameras for a dummy??

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by used2belucky, Aug 31, 2015.

1. used2belucky

used2belucky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i would really like to add a cellular mms trail cam to my collection. my favorite honey hole is quite a hike to check the cameras. my question is i'm really just not sure how they work. i know i have good cell signal in the location i want to put it. can anyone explain how the plans work? i have a iphone with sprint as my carrier and all seem to want AT&T. is there a way i can have pics sent to my current phone? or can i have them sent to a email address? or would i have to get a additional phone just to receive pics on? any input would be greatly appreciated. Internet Technology is not my specialty so please explain as I would explain things to my 4 year old daughter... thanks!!

2. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    From what I've read, most can either send to your phone via text or an email address. I think the best is having it sent to and email and then have a rule or filter setup to have them put in a trail cam folder to keep organized. A good site to check out is www.trailcampro.com as they do some pretty good reviews on cams and give you all the info as far as how they get setup. I think a couple companies have a site you can login to view the pictures as well. I don't think i'd like that. I'd rather have them sent to something I only have access too instead of some other company. Make sure you read on the reviews about each model as some of them do not have very good battery life but they are getting better. If its in a remote area, you best best is to get one with the optional solar panel.

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It depends on your camera and setup. for example with the Covert Camera that I have its uses a SIM card from AT&T. The plan has unlimited text so I send the pictures as a text message. The pictures can be sent to any message capable device. For example we currently send to a phone on AT&T, Verizon and Straight Talk. The camera did enjoy some batteries but has the option to add rechargeable AA batteries and a solar panel. After adding some quality rechargeable batteries and the panel I have not changed the batteries in over a year. I did have to clean the panel during pollen season though. Its expensive to get started but once you have it going is great. The Covert Camera company has always been responsive to my emails and questions and now I think they even come with the sim card already. Can not comment on any others but I have been happy ever since I got the battery issue solved.

4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    First of all, may I offer my condolences that you are with Sprint. I just got away from them after several years of absolutely rotten service. But that's a different subject. The current crop of cell cams should be able to transmit to any device or email you designate, no matter the carrier. At this time, the camera makers are using AT&T and Verizon for their units. Check out this link to view several different cell cams. Trailcampro.com is absolutely the best place to purchase any camera and their customer service is second to none. Good luck to you. http://www.trailcampro.com/cellularcameras.aspx

Blessings.........Pastorjim

5. used2belucky

used2belucky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Appreciate all the info. I went on the trailcampro site and did some reading. In my simple mind for some reason I wasn't understanding that the cellular plan and SIM card was for the camera. I was thinking hmm my iPhone doesn't even have a SIM card. Haha I completely get it now. And apologize for my stupidity. Thank you bowhunting.com for making me a smarter person. Lmao

6. tladson91

tladson91 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer to have them sent to my email that way I can view them whenever I want. Although getting picture messages is nice, it gets annoying after a day or two of non stop notifications.

7. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am not sure how they all are byt my buddy has the covert one and the picture quality is so poor that gets sent. Its more frustrating then waiting to check cards, because you will get a picture of a buck 10 yards away but the rack is so blurry you really have no idea how big it is. Drives us nuts. Another guy I work with has a Spypoint and its much better. Not sure about others, and not sure on set up and all. I am buying one in the spring I think, so have not done all my research yet but so far that's what I was able to gather. I am a fan of Stealth cams, so I look forward to seeing more reviews on theirs now that its out.