Painting a bow

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by Hekkisaurus Rex, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Hekkisaurus Rex

Hekkisaurus Rex Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey y'all, I have a quick question. I bought my bow a couple months ago. In my impatience I ended up buying the camo version of my bow and didn't really like it. How hard is it to paint it all black? I've been getting mixed reviews as it's the Bowtech Carbon Knight. I asked a local shop, and they told me it's a long process because of the material that the riser is made of. How true is this? Is this something I can do at home? Thanks again for your help! uploadfromtaptalk1441023911400.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

2. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would think it'd be kinda similar to painting firearms. I did one of my rifles awhile back and just used rattle can, but there's alot of stuff that would be more permanent. Not sure how it would hold up on the limbs with all the flex and vibrations but if you can live with maybe having to touch it up every once in awhile that would fix that.

I would look more into duracoat or hydro dipping. If I remember right there's a place around here that will refinish bows so there's gotta be some way to do it ha.

3. Hekkisaurus Rex

Hekkisaurus Rex Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm OK with a touch up every once in a while. I'll definitely look more into that hydro dipping! Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

4. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Check out Powder Coating too...

5. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sell yours and buy the black version. I think you be much happier

6. Hekkisaurus Rex

Hekkisaurus Rex Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been contemplating that!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

7. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am not sure I would powder coat a carbon riser, it could potentially twist in the baking process. Maybe not though.

Lots of folks on Archerytalk have had their bows dipped and also Kolorfusion (ink/die transfer). You will need to break your bow down or send it to someone who will break it down for you. Gets pricey quick.

I have painted bows and even then to do a good job you need to disassemble the bow. This is regular rattle cans with clear. It is a 2007 Bear Element I gave to my nephew who still hunts with it. It came out pretty nice but I broke it down completely and cleared every part I painted. It holds up ok but still scratches easier than a higher quality finish will.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

8. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I really like the camo riser with black limbs look. I've been toying around with the idea of using paint-on truck bedliner. The non-grit kind. I think it would provide a nice flat black finish that would both flex and be scuff resistant. Since it's brush on, it could be done without removing the limbs.

9. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the exact same bow you do. Personally, I like the camo but that's me. You can probably paint the riser but I've never had any luck painting anything that flexes. I would leave the limbs as is. If it were me in your shoes, I'd sell the camo and buy the black. The reason I say that is because you COULD paint it and it MIGHT work. Buying a new one WILL work. If for some reason the paint gets jacked up, all you have is a mostly black jacked up looking bow. If you can get the Black Ops version for almost the same price, why spend money and take a chance. Just my 2 cents.

10. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    I have painted them with automotive paints, base coat clear coat in candy/ crackled and have used the rattle can with clear route to, it works but not as durabl

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  11. Hekkisaurus Rex

Hekkisaurus Rex Newb

Dislikes Received:
    After reading up on it, it seems as though my best option is to buy the factory black riser to get the best quality. I think I might just end up doing that.

12. Hekkisaurus Rex

Hekkisaurus Rex Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, that's nice work! Looks really clean too!!

13. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll recommend this. The bow is worth several hundred dollars. Do it justice and sell it before you cover it in paint.

14. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Trading for a black bow would be far easier than hoping and praying the painting process works out for you. Put a thread on AT and you'll probably move it in a week or less.

15. Hekkisaurus Rex

Hekkisaurus Rex Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No doubt, I've been doing some thinking and am going to do this instead.

16. Smallhill

Smallhill Newb

Dislikes Received:
    In case anyone is not clear on hydro dipping ( water transfer graphics) it is an automotive base coat / clear coat process. I used to own a dipping company, and realize that a lot of folks think it's a decal which it is not. Your part gets painted in a particular base color and then gets dipped in the pattern ink. The ink then binds into the base paint like pen ink on paper. After the dip it gets rinsed, dried and then you apply a flat or glossy clear coat over top depending on preference of sheen. So what I am saying I guess is that any bow that comes in a factory camouflage is essentially painted in automotive base coat/ clear coat. Keep in mind not all automotive paints are created equal.