shotgun or lapel mic.

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by drslyr, Aug 30, 2015.

1. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So now iv'e been playin with my new go pro silver 4 for a couple days. I'm starting to think about my second angle shots. I went with a pal to a 3d shoot today. I wore the go pro on a headstrap. My audio on the headstrap was fine but when he spoke at 5 or 6 ft. away he is barely hearable. So now for the questions. 1 Do you use a lapel mic for audio on the go pro . I use a shotgun mic on my cannon hfg2o and now I'm wondering if I should use a lapel mic there too. I don't think I wanna get into wireless mics cuz their too expensive. Sooooooooooo………. I guess my question is how do you guys handle audio?

2. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody??????

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't use the GoPro for audio. I use my main camera with a shotgun mic and lapel mic.

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    All action cameras have sucky audio. So do most DSLRs & camcorders. As far as what is better for you, it depends on what your sound goals are. With a shotgun mic, you'll be able to get audio from anything you point the mic at: someone talking, a babbling brook, crickets at sunset. A big down fall is if you or the person talking turns away from the camera. You'll lose the audio if they aren't talking in the mic's direction.

A lav mic is awesome for getting interview audio. Unlike the shotgun, a lav will always pick up the voice of whoever is wearing it. It will not however be good at picking up any ambient noises like mentioned above. You'll get the voice and not much else.

I use both. I have a Rode Video Pro shotgun mic on my DSLR for the majority of my filming, but I also have a Rode SmartLav that I use with my iPhone as a cheap second audio system. This set up gives me a good amount of versatility. The smart lav also saved my but on my trail cam segment when the battery died on my shotgun mic. All the audio was gone for the video clips, but I have the audio back up on my phone.