where's the bucks at??!!!!

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by nightrider, Aug 30, 2015.

1. nightrider

nightrider Newb

Dislikes Received:
    just wondering if im doomed to shoot a buck on this property i just bought last winter. im a newbie to deer hunting and am not to familiar with deer patterns. the property is 15 acres, 10 acres of woods and heavy thicket. has a pond and creek that runs through. 80 acres of corn next door and beans across the street. last winter i put up some trail cams in a couple spots and one was on a scrape line. since then i've not got one damn pic of a buck. i've had as many as 7 does in one pic though. and consistently have doe's on camera nearly everyday. why no bucks?!! im gonna use this property for archery season since its 15 minutes from where i live. i'll be happy with doe's since i like to eat deer, but would love to shank a big ol' buck!

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    First week in November the bucks will come, be ready and in a tree.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    On that small piece of property you need to really be on top of your entrance and exit plan. I would try to wait to hunt till right before the rut, it is very easy to burn out a stand site on small property. If the old herd doe busts you she will make sport of you and bust you every time you sit. Be as scent free as possible.

4. nightrider

nightrider Newb

Dislikes Received:
    yeah i figured the rut will be my best shot at catching a buck rolling through chasing a doe. i know they come on the property as its evident from the scrapes, just wish i could catch some shots on camera to see em. the bad part is, the thickets are so thick i only have one way in and out. late season after everything dies off i will be able to have different routes to take. i plan on thinning it out in some spots after the season is over to make it more accessible and hanging some stands in a few spots.

5. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If youre land has does then dont fret. I have a 130 acre spot that no big bucks live on. I catch them passing through during rut. Dont see anything but small bucks, does and fawns until rut. Last year i saw two complete Giants chasing does just couldnt get ethical shot..... if you have does they will come its inevitable.

6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Don't rush to get rid of the thickness your place naturally offers....lots of guys I know in the habitat realm at times spend lots of money trying to create thickets.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Much easier to pattern does than bucks, I would rather have nothing but does on trail cam the end of October.

8. nightrider

nightrider Newb

Dislikes Received:
    not gonna clear everything, just some different routes in and out.

9. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would HIGHLY recommend cutting your entry and exit paths thru the thickets now. The does will adjust to it as long as they don't see or hear you on them. They might even use them if it helps them get between bed and food faster. Bucks will use your paths when they are cruising if they feel safe because they want to cover ground as easy as possible too. So be selective where you put them but do it now.