How Much Camo Do you Use

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bryan Jeffrey, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im just wondering how much camo you all use when hunting deer of bear and why.

The only camo i use is a camo tank top. and my camo UA hat. I will use sent control if i recently washed my shirt or jeans. my pack is also camo. other than that. i havent seen a reason to go out and buy a ton of camo. I have even stalked a bobcat and got within 30 yards of him wearing just that. I find where i hunt the animals dont seem to spook to easy. they probably dont see many humans. I like to go pretty deep in the mountains.

2. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    When I'm in the woods... Everything I wear is camo besides my underwear, socks, and jeans under my camo scent lok pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just recently bought some camo pants half way through the season last year because i got a heck of a deal on them! I bought them because it match the jacket I had, Scentlok full season. That is also off the top of my head so don't hold me to that name. Before the camo pants I wore browning jeans that have thick canvas on the front and cotton everywhere else. Those pants are brown and dark gray/blueish and I never once was spotted in a tree with them. I believe it has to do more with scent and movement that spook deer. And with that being said, camo isn't always the best camouflage in certain situation with ground blinds.
    So i don't think that my camo has much to do with my concealment. Rather my lack of movement.

4. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have basic (uninsulated) scent lok camo bibs and jacket for early season hunting through mid-october. I'm usually good wearing that until it hits close to 32 degrees. Then I have my Cabelas MTO50 insulated jacket and bibs for when the temps drop.

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use 120 sheets of dip film in the tub then carefully dip myself, then I proceed to dress myself in camo underclothing, camo outer wear, spray myself down with scent killer, plop on my camo balaclava, and top it of with my camo hat. Then I drive to the shed in my camo truck with camo interior and climb into my camo Polaris Ranger and drive to the farm where I climb into my camo ladder or my camo blind with my camo covered bow and arrows.

Then I generally sit for two to three hours without seeing squat. :lol:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  6. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I get completely decked in Camo from head to toe.. Camo hat, all season Scent-lok jack, pants, gloves and use face paint.. I figure it doesn't hurt and I normally have a harder time hiding from squirrels than I do deer (as far as being spotted).. I also always try to stay as scentless as possible. I also wear all thin base layers to help hold in my scent, which are made by Scent Away and are camo, so if I get a little warm I can take my jacket off and still blend in.. My bow, back pack and treestands are also Camo.. The only thing I wear that isn't camo is my boots (which are green Mucks) and only item I use that isn't camo are are my arrows. All my Camo is in RealTree.

7. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I wear a loin cloth and that's it

8. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think camo is super important, but most of the clothes that are best suited/ made for hunting come in camo. I don't necessarily stress having full camo but thats just how it plays out sometimes. And there aren't very many situations where having camo would hurt you

9. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Jeans and a tank top probably wouldn't be very good attire on a November morning sit in Iowa. Got to spend money on warm clothes so it might as well be camo.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

10. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Camo clothing is more optional than a lot of people have been led to believe. Especially high definition 3D patterns.

Through history, lot of animals have been taken without the use of what we would call camo.

Myself, I have a military style BDU that I wear. It had a generic woodland print pattern. The top can serve as a shirt or top layer with a jacket or coat underneath depending on the weather.

Attached Files:

11. patches2565

patches2565 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Naked is the way

Bowtech invasion
    CX maxima 350
    React 5
    Reaper 2 inch

12. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Couple years ago I had a 2.5 year old buck stare at me for a long minute while in all blaze orange with no camo pattern while gun hunting. I didn't have anything behind me to break up my outline and was standing on a ladder stand platform. Surely he knew I was out of place but since I didn't twitch he eventually casually walked away not concerned (maybe a tree spilt in two recently) I was surprised. Maybe if I was in camo he would have only looked at me for half that time or maybe not. An older buck probably would have busted my either camoed up or not but I learned how valuable just remaining still can be without camo. I have read many times that BLUE is the color to stay away from cause deer can see it. So when your hunting deer in Cali in jeans and a tank top maybe avoid the blue jeans if you weren't aware already. Mid December freezing my tail off I'll be jealous of your warm mountain Cali hunting lol.

13. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have pretty much a complete outer covering that is camo of some sort but none of it is specifically for hunting except one coat which is reversible camo/blaze. Everything else I will wear at times other than hunting.

14. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Old School

15. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    so your the only one that wears less camo than me. hahaha. iv got some mossy oak boxer briefs. ill wear just those when i hunt this coming Saturday for opening day. Pictures to come!

16. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Everything I wear or carry into the woods is camo.

17. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Im one of those people that always wears a camo hat and has several Mossy Oak, RealTree ect shirts that I wear because I like them... that and they match my cowboy boots and redneck personality/accent. lol

I have never hunted bear.. but if I hunt I wear camo and if Im not hunting I at least have a camo hat on!

11960062_10153599638967287_1036245941997918591_n.jpg

10348356_532096600251443_2016006426097918070_n.jpg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  18. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love camo! I told my kids when I die I want to be buried in it!:tu:

19. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    With a thermacell...

20. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My outer layers, jacket and pants, and some lightweight fleeces, shirts, and pants for really early season are camo. All of my base layers are a dark brown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk