how do you guys make sure your bow is ready for the season

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shane0709, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How do you guys make sure that everything is in sync, in tune and preforming flawlessly? I dont want problems with my during the season, so what should I look over on it. I bought it in december of 2014, and I shoot regularly. does it need a tune up or anything? It is a dual cam bow, and it has a drop away.. Also I have one arrow that shoots the right way every time out of my 7 arrows. How do I get more like that one? They look the same to me lol.

2. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just went over my bow today and made sure everything was tight and inspected for any damage! Broad head tuned it waxed the string and cable and now I will continue to shoot my regular schedule 4-5 days a week 30-40 shots a day until my season opens.

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot every day and I shoot broadheads during a shooting session just to make sure they are flying try. Before and after every I session I give everything a once over and put it back in the case if all good or make adjustments if need be. Any rattles get investigated and fix as soon as I can. Unless things are off once season starts I don't change much. The rest of the year I am always tweaking something. Good luck this year.

4. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll do my full tune up from scratch. Make sure my broadheads and bare shaft fly perfectly. Sight in. Shoot for a week or two, then put it back on the draw board and check sync and timing. Then shoot broadheads and bareshafts again to make sure everything is still perfect. Then I'll just shoot everyday leading up till season and throw in the occasional bareshaft and broadheads to make sure it's all good still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    you might number you arrows and keep track of which ones fly well and which ones don't. for arrows consistently shooting off, try rotating the knocks to see if that helps. also might check to see if the spine is right for the bow. as for my bow I have a single cam so couldn't speak to any dual cam issue.

6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot year round. I am very anal about tuning so there is really no making sure it's ready for the season, it is ready all the time lol. I use pretty much the methods Max mentioned. I buy a lot of used bows but change strings as soon as I get a bow so I know they are good to go and properly set up.

7. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Doing this will make your arrows all much more consistant

Also, congrats on your first bow. I bought my first Compound in december of 2014. My First Recurve in 2008.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  8. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just took my bow to the shop last night because I began to hear a click everytime I would draw my bow back like the timing was off.. I also noticed my string had loosened because my bow felt easier to draw back and I started shooting low. I also had a fray in my string at my peep sight which concerned me.. I ended up getting a new string put on my bow, the poundage taken back up to 65lbs (it was down to 58) and the timing on my cams was slightly off. Needless to say, I spent time both last night and this morning tuning my bow to get it back to shooting the way I wanted it to and now I"m driving tacks.