Deer scores.....Whos kidding themselves?

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by Kaiser878, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Kaiser878

Kaiser878 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This has been a reoccurring theme among all hunting shows... and I see it has made its way to BHOD. If there is one thing I cannot stand,and thats people throwing outlandish scores out about deer.... IMO it takes all credibility away from the show, as it does with every other show that the hosts are throwing out ridiculous numbers. I have watched the show for years..Honestly, I dont see myself watching it much anymore because of the ridiculous misjudging of deer scores, especially on hit list shows. If you are going to publicly rattle off scores of deer, make sure they are within the ballpark... This is a public show, where people who might not know a lot are trying to learn... They are being misguided, adding into the BS hype deer hunting has associated with it now.... Todd Graff (SP) is usually pretty accurate and knowledgeable. Which might be the onlky thing that keeps me watching the webisodes.

2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I find it funny that your first post EVER is bashing BHOD. :confused: Scoring deer is a "guesstimation", if you will, at best. Some are spot on and some aren't. You can't please everybody and I don't think they are trying to. This is the way they choose to present their show. Sorry you don't like that BHOD does that. Send Todd or Justin a PM and see if they will change that for you.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Kaiser you are going to have to suspend belief if you want to watch hunting shows. They are not documentaries they are entertainment.

4. Kaiser878

Dislikes Received:
    I am a long time reader, just dont post much... Not bashing it, just expressing my opinion. Apparently you missed the part where I said I Have watched the show for years, meaning, I have enjoyed it. It Just seems all shows are drifting towards this scoring theme. Most of which are grossly over estimated.

Also, if a person knows deer, their guesstimation shouldnt be 20 inches off on sub 150 deer. On a 190 in Non typ i can understand....I guess its just something that really bothers me...

5. Kaiser878

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I dont understand why entertainment has to always have a level of misinformation in it. I think thats why all hunting shwos have really taken a dive lately, everyone is worried about what everyones deer scored. So they think they have to have these high scoring deer to hunt

6. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think we all know who you are talking about and he has shot some monsters and has plenty of huge deer running around his farms. I think his guesses are pretty close to accurate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That combined with the endorsement BS, I know they need to pay the bills but please do not expect real hunters to not scoff when we know the product is not what it is promoted as.

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, to agree with your complaint, we first have to believe you have a firm grip and any credibility when it comes to guessing a deer's score that you even know when someone's guesstimate is off by 20". It's a guess so you're likely to be off just as far as anyone else.

I don't think Sota meant they are throwing out intentionally high numbers (misinformation), that was just the subtext you added in there. Pretty sure he only meant that the shows are entertainment...not to get so worked up about someone throwing out guesses on scores that may be off one way or another by accident.

All shows are drifting towards this scoring theme because that's the universal system the named clubs have set in place to judge deer...it's not rocket science. Show a picture of a deer anywhere and the first question you will usually get is, "What do you think he'll score?". Then guesses get thrown about that are often around a 20" margin of error +/-.

I think you're being too harsh....a lot.

9. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I too have watched every episode of BHOD. I see what you are saying about hunting shows focusing on how much a buck scores. Boone and Crockett and Pope and Young scores plague a lot of shows. But Staff members at BHOD have been giving buck score estimates for several seasons. Season 4 Episodes 10&11 and Season 5 Episode 10 to name a few. I am sure I can go back and find it from earlier seasons as well. So are you upset that it has been going on for several years now or that some misjudged a buck by 20 inches this year?

10. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If it makes you feel better, I think my hit list buck Buster will be lucky to get into the 140's as a 10 pt :tu:

Welcome the the site!

11. Kaiser878

Dislikes Received:
    I think it has gotten worse..... I never remember it being this far off.... maybe i was less critical then... Maybe I didnt watch as many of the early episodes, not sure.... but i was jonesin for some deer TV and swung by to watch

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  12. Kaiser878

Dislikes Received:
    Im not gonna sit here and say i am always perfect..... but the caliber of deer im most used to judging or most worried about im never really off by much more than 5 or so inches.... and the only way i know is because I have either killed them or my buddies have killed them....and they were officially scored. But thats typically deer in the 140-170 range..... It obviously gets harder when deer get upwards of 170 and 180...... There is a lot more there to misjudge on....

13. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im sure they aren't going out on purpose misjudging just to sound cool. I don't believe prostaff gets paid. Most aren't pro hunters and can make mistakes. These days most hunters (maybe not yourself, but most) identify a deer by score. If someone tells me they shot an 8pt, it could be a 60" basket or 170" mammoth. So its more helpful to me to give it a score. And even with pictures or video, I still like to hear what others think it is. If they say 150 and its clearly not, I don't get mad and go complain about it on a forum, I just assume they are making a mistake and move on with my life. Or, maybe I am missing something. And I know I am not perfect at all. My main hitlist buck I have no clue what he will score. Sometimes I think 115 then I see again and think 130. Its easy to make mistakes. Its not these guys job to guess perfect the score of a buck they have on cam. Its to do their best providing good footage for us to enjoy. And honestly, who cares what someone elses deer scores? If you shot me a buck I think is 130 and you tell me its 150, that has no effect in my life and will not " take all credibility away" from you in my mind.

14. FroMan

FroMan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The trend is to vastly overscore deer. Sometimes by 20 inches. I'm not sure how one does that.

When I'm scoring deer on the hoof I get my number, and subtract 10 inches. I seem to generally be in the ballpark with this method.

A buddy of mine has a deer he claims is 150. It's more of a 120 class.

15. Kaiser878

Dislikes Received:
    This is exactly what I am talking about.... Glad someone understands what I am saying......

16. Kaiser878

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I rate my deer by score, absolutely I do.... Being pro means nothing, they are usually the worst. THey think they have a reputation to uphold... So they are the worst.....

17. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It bothers me some but I've misjudged deer grossly in the past. I shot a buck I thought was in the 150's and he broke the 170 mark, shot a buck I only had velvet pics of and thought he'd be close to 150 but was around 130. It happens. What annoys me is when people throw out its a booner and it would hardly or wouldn't even gross Boone and crocket. I feel if you're throwing out the booner card you better be talking net since that's the criteria, and they are very few and far between. But I wouldn't hold it against a show so much as to not watch.

18. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good post! I love this website and the prostaff members that I have met (brother love, not sexual love guys!). Judging velvet buck are tough and are very often over-estimated versus when that velvet sheds.

19. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    At times I can see what he means with "throwing around" the bucks score but in all fairness it is always in the eyes of the hunter at that time.
    velvet bucks are impossible for me to score.
    so here is a way for you to show everyone that you know how to judge a deer easily
    I will post pictures of a buck that I have scored and so did my taxidermist and you tell me the score you think it is simple right

20. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received: