don weddle 1985 season bow hunt

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by don weddle, Aug 28, 2015.

1. don weddle

don weddle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well it was 3rd week of oct. and was hunting on my parents 2nd homested in Versailles,In. it was hot that week (78 dergees) that mourning i hunted out of (big treestand that me and my dad had built,even had a metal roof over it) Didnt see nothing that mourning. So i went back to house for lunch and a little nap.Well since it was hot i would hunt that evening from my LOC_ON_LIMB treestand next to creek,thinking i would maybe catch them coming off of ridge to get a drink before feeding in the cut corn field.well got into my treestand at3:00pm The squirrels were playing grab-*** with each other making alot of noise.(had one come up my tree and popped out from behind it, i could have grab it with my hands). They were so noisey i decided to get down early.(6:30pm) so i got down.Slowly walked towards cut corn field about 20yds away.When i popped out i looked north, no deer when i looked south here is a doe about 20yds (in same corn row) Butt facing me, walking away from me! Well i slowly loaded up a arrow ,and put release on string and started stalking her.Every time she looked back i froze. this went on for about 3 minutes.She was now about 40yds away.thinking quickly ,i had to do something to get her broadside for a good shot.WELL dry -up cut corn makes alot of noise.I decided to all at same time, knell down on one knee(HITTING CORN STALK WITH KNEE TO MAKE SOME NOISE, pulling bow back and aiming at same time.to get her to turn broadside when she heard noise)IT WORKED! I shot .She jump straight-up in the air, and ran up to a little knoll in field,i stayed in shooting stance.SHE looked back at me for about a minute,then she looked at her side were arrow hit her. THEN she started running at full speed in a circle. before dropping dead. I stepped it off 40yds. exactly.this is best shot ihave ever made with NO SIGHTS using xx75 alum.arrow 23" and 125GR WASP BROADHEAD.

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of a release were you using in 1985?

3. don weddle

Dislikes Received:
    a gold futura ,i think ,old concho iype with small rope around bow string. started using reieases in1980 hot shot was my 1st one.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Don, it sounds like you are a meat hunter and that is all good. I do have to ask have there been bucks over the years that you were after that you outsmarted or got lucky and took down?

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cool, thanks.
    I didn't switch over to any type of release until the early 90's (of course I was just a little kid and shot my first deer in 1983 with a bow) I know they were around in the early 80's but didn't really see any examples until probably the late 80's here. Everyone in my family just shot fingers, I used to think releases were sissy, lol. How times have changed, now bows almost can't be shot with fingers due to the short AA and extreme string angles at draw.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have an old release in a bowcase with an old browning wood compound, first time I looked at it I had no idea what it was.

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I remember the old hot shot handheld releases with the poet and rope loop ....

8. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great story, thanks for sharing. When I see squirrels this season I'll be thinking about them playing grab a$$ now lol.

9. don weddle

Dislikes Received:
    sota, yes, in 1997 rick my hunting buddy talked me into gun hunting.Well during bow season i had a big 8 pt.i stuck up high at 22 yards ,and lost well i got mad at myshelf,and 2 weeks before gun came in,I went to wal- wart and bought a single-shot 12 ga.shot gun. knew there was bigger bucks in area. well on 11-17-97 alarm went of it was cold and snowing.Was tired, didnt want to go but my wife said, get up and i will get you breakfast while you shower. so i went.Got up in treestand,pulled gun up,got horns out started rattle seq. soon as i hung attlers up .saw what i tought was small buck come running into woods. WELL he stop at about 80yds.out and just stood there.5 minuntes.Then started to walk towards a srcape&rub away from me.had 1 opening at 60yds to shoot through. laid gun against tree when he walked to opening .i shot ,he went down hard, never moved.waited awhile got down walkedup to him ,couldnt believe it. it was a big 9pt. went home and watched jeff gordon win 2 nascar championship.what a day!!!!