Do you vote? (Seriously you should!) RANT

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Bone Head Hunter, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In 2008 we got a new leader. Pretty sure this ended up with change, but at what price?

Our past leader had just dealt with 911, the after effects of the oil wars and the bubble busting after Slick Willie’s promise of everyone gets a free home and car plan!

I’m guessing that the banks had to do some creative accounting to make that happen, and then when that didn’t work out they got a do over from Bamy to stay in business after the stuff hit the fan!

I think we have taken a step backwards as a society.

We have more information at the click of a button than we can comprehend. Social unrest and crazies rule the news headlines.

We are politically correct and maybe worse for it!

Are you eager as I am to see things change again?

You tired of seeing people that are bought and sold decide what the rules of your life are?

We need to get out the vote message!

If each of us take on the efforts of communication without left clicking WE can!

Yes talk to your neighbor and co-worker for a change instead of texting him or her because it’s easier and has less chance for confrontation. Talk to every person you know that can vote and tell them no matter who they vote for they HAVE to vote in 2016.

I think we are at a cross roads as America and It’s time you’re voted counted!

Are you registered?

Rant over... :alien:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    To me complaining without action is whining I have zero time for whiners. If you don't vote you have no right to complain.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I vote.

The driving problem in this country, aside from the direction of our government and leaders is the amount of low information people we have today. You have everything you want at your finger tips, yet so many people resort to just regurgitating what they saw on Facebook or Twitter. People need to look at themselves and ask if they are doing what's best for our society and whats best for their family. Then do the actual research for themselves and quite relying on the crap they see on their Facebook feeds. 99% of that is meant to divide people and keep them from seeing what's really destroying our country.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  4. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed, but the sad facts of electoral college politics make 5 - 6 percent of the population the people which elect our president. 46 - 47 percent of the population already know which political party they are going to vote with and the candidates with each party are trying to woo that respective percentage during primaries but during the general election that small percentage comes into play. That is why just a few swing states alters the presidential election. California and New York will vote democratic regardless of which democrat wins the primary as some southern states are reliable Republican. The swing states will decide the election, make no mistake. If you want to change the political landscape you have to win the hearts and minds of the people in those states.

Personally I know that I will not vote for any of the democratic candidates either on the ballot now or those who are considering a run as I don't agree with any of them on fiscal or social issues. What I don't know is who the alternative will be and how enthusiastic I will be about them. That, for the republicans, is the real issue. Providing an alternative that appeals to the voters in the swing states while maintaining their base of support in the reliable republican areas. I predict a very close election split with a razor thin margin due to the severe partisan divide established in this country.

But to answer your question, yes I am registered and yes I do vote - every election!

5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, and I don't vote strictly down party lines.

Sadly, voting is becoming more about NIKE anymore

Just do it.

Doesn't matter why

6. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I heard a funny rebuttal to this the other day, guy said he doesn't vote so he's not to blame. The voters are the ones who put these idiots in office in the first place. lol

For Presidential Elections it doesn't matter though for 80% of the states. I get that it makes you feel better inside and that's great, but there are only 5-8ish swing states each year that decide an election and if you reside elsewhere, the way your state is voting is already decided by a large margin.

7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'll admit that I haven't voted since I was 18, but I have always known that being in IL Cook county all but controls the voting for this state. Why bother.

I bother because I'm telling the rest like I used to be to vote on the premise that far too many feel this way and we need to stop. I tell everyone that I don't care or want to know who they vote for. Just start voting.

Not going to talk about the ones that finally go to vote and then say they tried but didn't know they had to register first :lol:

8. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    At least IL is on the list of states that MIGHT matter come election time. I've only ever lived in KY, AL, and Alaska for more than a few months at a time and all 3 of those vote so far right come national election time that it is useless to even cast a ballot.

9. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll just leave this here...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  10. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I think you should have to pass a basic civics and government test to be able to vote.

11. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes. I vote and I also just don't vote for the "R" or the "D". I'll vote for a 3rd party if neither of the main candidates stand for my beliefs, which happened last election, and will probably happen again this election.

12. Bone Head Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    that's not a bad idea.. but how do you see that helping?

You really think fewer voters would change the electorate process in any way?

I think it's time that the whole electorate college process gets thrown out the window and new rules for term limits instituted.

Those in power will never allow it to happen though...

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I do believe that if you do not pay taxes you should not get to vote.

14. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Everybody pays taxes. Maybe not as much as you and me, but everyone pays some form of tax, whether it be sales tax, income tax, property tax, etc.

15. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    The electoral college is still based on the majority vote of that state, so if it alters the majority vote, it changes that states entire electoral vote.

Remember all the busing of people to the poles last couple election and the huge push they had to get voters registered. I don't remember ever hearing about that happening in rural conservative areas. It only happened in the inner city where you can guarantee 95% of that vote is going Democrat. Most of those people being bused to the poles had little to no interest in doing anything other than electing a black man.

What's the point of people voting if they don't know or really care about who, what, where and why they are voting for.

16. Bone Head Hunter

Dislikes Received:

There is no point..

17. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Plenty on both sides do this. There will be plenty of people that just vote for the guy with the "R" next to his name.

18. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I never said there wasn't.

19. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Both party's are Effectively one in the same on the national scale. Both are dominated by quasi corporate partnerships and a lobbying industry that be design circumvents the the will of the America people. In short we have a government that taken as whole does not represent the will of the American people nor the electorate the put them in office.
    The two party get out and vote crowd in all its naivety is part of the part of the problem. They refuse to recognize that their participation in the system is perpetuating a government that in its current state broken beyond repair .

20. Bone Head Hunter

Dislikes Received:

If it matters not who you vote for and you take a "stick my head in the sand" stance then it will never change..

So what is the answer?

How does what was once the greatest nation on earth bring democracy back to the people where it's once again for the people and by the people!