Chainsaw Won't Start

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Spear, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok gearheads, I need some help. I'm usually good about fixing things with a motor like my truck and ATV but this chainsaw has me stumped. It's only a few seasons old and the thing refuses to start up. The pull cord is definitely turning the engine but it doesn't sound like it's almost starting, it just turns. Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Cleaned/gapped the spark plug
    2. Cleaned the air filter
    3. Cleaned the carb
    4. Dumped the gas and replaced with correct mixture
    5. Checked to make sure choke switch is engaging
    6. Checked to make sure chain moves and bar/chain oil full (even though this wouldn't prevent it from starting)

I am at a loss. Any ideas?

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Unscrew the plug and Have someone check to see if there is spark when you are pulling. This will eliminate your ignition system.

If you are comfortable, take the cover off the saw and get some premix into a squeeze bottle (don't use enginer starter fluid in a 2 stroke). Squirt direct into the carb. If it starts then, you have a fuel delivery problem. If not, you likely have a carb problem.

I'm assuming the saw has compression? If so, the steps above are what I'd follow to narrow the problem down.

3. Sswpriz

Sswpriz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What Brand of chainsaw is it ?

4. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Also - If you haven't been using treated fuel when you stored it and had it sitting for more than say 3 months with untreated fuel in it.......it's 99.9% a carb problem. Most likely the needle valve. You may have cleaned it but that valve is probably toast if you stored it for 3 years with untreated fuel.

What brand/model/year is the saw?

5. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a plan. I hope it's just the spark plug, I am sick of just looking at this thing. I really don't want to put too much more time into it lol.

It's a Poulan. Big mistake, I know. I got it for cheap when I should have just bought a Stihl or Husqvarna.

6. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you have been using fuel with ethanol, I would lay odds on a carb issue. It doesn't take long for that junk to mess up a carb.

Follow rick's directions above, verify spark and manually prime.

Bought a used boat earlier this year. Would start but wouldn't idle. blasted with carb cleaner while running helped and after running about 2 gallons of mix without ethanol through, it is running perfect again.

7. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's a Poulan Wild Thing POS, can't remember what year I purchased it but probably 2012 or 2013. I used it last year no problem. I will have to take a look and see about the fuel. I put some fuel stabilizer according to the recommended measurement in with the fuel last winter after using it all season with no problem. I will dump what's in the chainsaw, clean the carb again, and try brand new fuel mixture. Maybe the fuel stabilizer didn't do it's job.

8. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Checking spark would be the first thing I checked.

When you pull it does it feel like it has compression?

One other item I would suggest checking which can be a pain is the fuel lines. They are notorious for drying out and cracking on 2 strokes. Once you lose the vaccum then fuel delivery isn't going to happen.

There's usually a couple both in the tank and outside the tank.

9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Does the primer seem to function ok? Usually that is a good sign of fuel line inside the tank if it doesn't draw and push the fuel when priming.

10. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    Have seen many cases where stabilizer doesn't work long in ethanol blend fuels. I don't take the chance anymore, I run all my small engine machines out of fuel at the end of the season.

11. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    I do the same now too. My inlaws own/run what is likely the largest outdoor power equipment shop in NY. They will tell you that 90% of the repair service they do is because of ethanol. They actually did a test where they treated a cup of gasoline with several brands of treatment. None did well past the 6 month mark.

12. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Stop using pump gas, buy the pre-mixed cans...yes I know it's expensive but so is time and equipment.

Rick gave good advice, there's a product called B-12 Chemtool that works wonders. Get the spray can and after verifying spark, spray it into the spark plug. If you're getting spark and have compression it should at least fire on the chemtool. You ca nspray it into the throttle and run it on pure chemtool for a bit if needed. If it'll start on it but won't run on it's own you have fuel problems. Either a bad line or plugged up jet or something.

If you don't have any spark, it could be a the wire or the coil pack.

Poulan saws are okay, they (saws) all suffer from gas issues from time to time.

13. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    thankfully I can buy ethanol free gasoline, heck there is even one station I can get high octane leaded fuel if I wanted.

14. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The pre-mixed stuff is probably what I will do moving forward once I get this thing fixed. I bet it's the fuel, it feels like it's getting compression and it sounds/feels like it did when it was starting, it's just not starting. Ethanol has been ruining ATV fuel lines and chainsaws for years, so annoying. I am really leaning towards it being a fuel issue. Thanks for the ideas guys, I will let you know.

15. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    That's very fortunate...I still wouldn't trust it. Bulk trucks don't always get the correct fuel in the correct tank and distributors don't always give correct info. It doesn't take much to ruin a saw, after having two Stihl 029's ruined in the same day...I don't chance it.

16. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    when you have the plug out to test spark, you can put your thumb over the spark plug hole and turn it over a little. If you have compression you should feel it.

17. doeslayer

doeslayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's a rarity. Huge fines if caught

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

18. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok everybody else covered most of it. Also might want to check the priming bulb. Those things are made of crap now and usually get small holes in them and jacks fuel flow.

19. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    May be but it happens, a local station here last summer had a bulk truck put diesel in the gas tank and gas in the diesel tank...caused a mess.

20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It is a poulan, throw it as far as you can.