Sighting in one pin sights

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shane0709, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have an HHA kingpin and an OL. Right now I have the OL on my bow. I'm trying to sight in my broadheads, but I can't get a good group outside 25 (which is all I need to shoot anyway.) the problem is I shoot 46 pounds, 26 1/2 inch draw. On the kingpin it didn't have a tape for me. But the kingpin only has instructions to sight in at 20 and 60. They didn't have a tape for me at 20 and 60, so I put the OL on. The OL comes with instructions for 20 and 40, and 20 and 60. Since a tape didn't work for me at 20 and 60, will it work on 20 and 40? Or am I just better off making a blank tape. I can't hold a group with broadheads outside of 25 for some reason, but a tape requires me to go to 20-40. I shoot QAD exodus on carbon express maxima red's that are paper tuned and indexed. But different arrows are flying different places, and my results are much much less consistent then when using field points. Please help me out. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Noblacksheep

Noblacksheep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can't tell you... You're on another team...

Just kidding. I had a similar problem. I moved my sight up on my bow, zeroed, and used a tape close to what HHA recommended. Single pins are my favorite but they're definitely a bit tricky for us new guys to learn.

3. BigUTMuleys

BigUTMuleys Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where do you live? Your local HHA dealer should be able to sight that in for you and give you the correct tape.

( speaking as an HHA dealer ... )

Also, HHA has some great how to videos on their website.

http://www.hhasports.com/videos/

4. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    as for siting it in... what they said above... as for the bad groups... it's not the site... it's the tuning... ya need to fix that first, to get good groupings.. then worry about adjusting the site....

5. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Do you get good consistent groups from your fieldpoints? You may want to try walk back tuning or as some call it French tuning. Paper tuning is good to a degree but isn't the end for getting your bow shooting the way you want. Lots of info on YouTube about it.

6. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Even if the sight is off you should still be grouping arrows, even if it's not in the spot you're aiming at. It sounds like an issue with something else in your setup. If all else fails, get on HHA's website and look up their phone number to obtain the correct tape. I guarantee they will be more than glad to help you. The customer service is the best part about buying one of their products. Hope you get the issue fixed soon.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Different arrows flying to different spots sounds like it could be fletchings making contact. Take the arrow that flies the best and make sure all the knocks and vanes are indexed the same as that arrow and give that a try. Mine have to be just so so or they hit my quad.

What I didn't like about the HHA sights is the need to shoot out to 60 to set them up, my brother in law set his up here and though he didn't have any issues, shooting a new sight out to 60 isn't comfortable to me. The Trophy Ridge react sights have you shoot at closer ranges for set up.

8. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can shoot them at 20 and 40. They have a separate chart for that. I can only shoot to 50 at home so I set mine up at 20 and 40 and every range from 10-50 it has been right on.

9. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Coop, it will be accurate at 20 and 40 even with a 46 pound bow? I had some arrows hitting exact and some growing semi-consistently low right and some high right. Really weird. Thanks

10. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I never use the chart for selecting tapes... with scale at the stop mark the dial, shoot and site in at 20.... then move back to the farthest you can, or feel comfortable at (the farther back the more accurate the tape will be.. I use 60yds) mark the dial... then find the tape that the yardages fit the marks... thats the one ya want

11. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had some of the same issues with my HHA when I first went to it. I bought a couple of books years ago, don't have the names with me, that were very helpful on tuning the bow, fletching issues, and anything else that helped shoot the bow more accurately. The "all over the place" issue sounds like an arrow issue maybe. Are the fletchings in the same place on all the arrows and are they all the same length? I know that sounds silly to ask.
    As far as the 46 lbs and 26 1/2" draw. My wife shoots a Jewel with 38 lbs and 25" draw and is left handed. I've had to learn to shoot left handed to tune her bow. She isn't strong enough to keep shooting it over and over again. It is akward going from shooting 28"/65 lbs right handed to 25"/38 lbs left handed. Her bow shoots really well out to 40yds. I haven't tried any further since she don't really need to shoot further than that. She has a Spot Hogg sight. I don't care for it at all but that is my opinion.