I think I just lost my mind...bought a Primos...

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by CoveyMaster, Aug 26, 2015.

1. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had to take my bow into the proshop for a new string, left it awaiting the order. I had to have some arrows refletched so while waiting in the new shop I was looking around. Of course I had to walk past the trail camera section. They had a decent selection but were a little too proud of the moultries. I noticed some Primos Proof cams on the hanger, pulled one down and looked at it, priced at $120...hmmm recalled I saw them online at $130. I had paid attention to them online because a buddy loved the newer Primos cameras.

I pulled the trigger on one of them.

I couldn't help feeling like kind of a goof walking out of the shop with a Primos camera, I had a truth cam 35 and that think sucked...and that's an understatement. Still, my buddy praises the newer ones so I thought well it's a good buy..I'll give it a go. I got it home and looked it over, seems like a solid little camera. I looked up reviews of it again and was pleasantly surprised. Now I'm stoked to get it set out and firing off pics!

Here's a review:
    http://www.trailcampro.com/primosproofcam02review.aspx

I'll let you know in a week how it works and if I just pulled a bone headed waste of $120 or found a bargain. :lol:
    I'd have rather had another G42ng but sadly they don't carry any Stealth Cams there.

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think you have lots your marbles. :p No way could I ever bring myself to buying one of their cams. Primos service is just flat out horrific. I have never had a good experience with them. I try to avoid anything branded Primos when ever possible.

Looks like the trailcampro review is bad as well. Looks like the cam will only take pictures of little bucks. lol!

3. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hope it works out great for you. Check out chasingame.com or slaycam.com for honest reviews from folks that actually use them.

4. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    LOL, well I never send any cameras in to have them serviced anyway, I might if it was an issue with one that I've bought in a five or ten pack with extended warranty or something but so far I've not had any issues. This is just the one camera so if it poops out I'll trash it or give it away, lol. After hearing my buddy brag on them last week and happening across this one, I gave in to a moment of weakness, lol.

5. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's why you buy from trail cam pro cause they take care of everything for two years. Might pay more then what u can get it at other places but they have top notch CS every time I have had to deal with them. I was actually just about to pull the trigger on this cam also. Now I can let you be the test dummy :poke:

6. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Haha, that's okay...I'm still glad I bought it for the time being anyway. I went and set it up over one of my other camera/mineral sites a little while ago. I tested the pics and video out here at home first and it worked great, pics and videos were sharp and nice from the few I let it cycle through.

While I was at the bow shop, I was looking for a few things I could use that were in the 80-$100 range. This shop is new and pretty nice, I'd like to support it as much as I can afford. It's about thirty miles away but it's the closest one that's decent by a long ways. My old shop was just down the road from this one but they closed up. There are lots of little hole in the wall shops around but they seem pretty rinky dink to me. I appreciate guys that are avid enthusiasts wanting to open a small shop but when a guy or two opens a shop out of their garage and are only open in the evenings after they get off work I doubt their capabilities somewhat. That said one of the best shops around used to be ran out of the guys garage but he was open every work day.

Anyway I was curious about these Primos cams, it looked nice at a good price and I wanted to spend a little more money to help support this shop so it's all good. The other cameras were all over my budget at over $150 was the next cheapest and it was a covert red 40 I think...which would have been fine but I don't like paying that much for cameras when I can buy a stealth cam for $120-$125 each all day long with free shipping. Well, he had a covert MP8 black for like $130 but I have one left of the original two (lost one) and they are okay but I don't need another one.

7. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im curious to see your results. Have 5 cameras running at a 230 acre spot i have. Would like to have at least 12, but man at $150 a pop they add up quick. I was wanting to get 1 or 2 more but am torn. I have 2 older moultries that work 50% of the time. An older Bushnell Trophy cam that works decent and one of those $120 wildgames that does decent as well. Im just wondering what the best bang for the buck is in the $130-$150 range is. Definitely will never spend for a Reconyx unless i hit that jackpot lol

8. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    My personal opinion is of the cameras I've used, one would be really hard pressed to do much better than the Stealth cams, I love my G42ng's. Of the one's I see a lot of and hear a lot of reviews about but I do not own, the Stealth Cam G30's and the Browning cameras are extremely popular. I would have jumped on a SC G30 or a Browning Strike Force camera had they stocked any of those at a decent price. Their Moultries were great models but were stupid high priced. I think they had an M-990i priced at like $190...

9. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. I think i will try the stealth cam or browning. That seems to be the general consensus.

10. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    After you let it soak for a min Would like to see some pictures night and day and then get your overall opinion on it. From what I read and seen on Trail Cam Pro I was sold but that also happen with a browning last year. It gets the job done but wish a few things where different with it

11. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I may go check it here in a bit after these thunderstorms subside and see if there's anything on it from yesterday/last night. I set it up on a tree several yards across the plot pointing at the other camera and mineral block. There's generally deer there every night but they might have been too far away to trigger it.

12. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Well Ill keep checking back here to see

13. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had great luck with primos, I have a TC 46 ultra HD that is absolutely kick *** and second only to our Reconyx and that is by a slim margin. I recently got a proof cam 2 for the 50% out of warranty replacement and I expect it to be the same. Here is a representative pic that I get with the TC 46. Put rayovac Nimhs in the cam in February and it's still going strong.

No problems with newer cams
    Limited problems with the TC 35 after 6 years of use - can't complain
    No problems with service

Unless they really screwed something up from the TC 46 ultra HD you will like it covey

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The flash is extremely strong so if you have deer under 10ft you can get a whiteout but on the flip side you can see deer out to 100 ft in the right conditions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bought the Primos Proof Cam 02 a couple months ago and I hate it.

False triggers like you wouldn't believe. The night pics are bright but blurry as heck. Daytime pictures are good but even the cheapest trail camera's these days can give you good daytime pics. I was suckered in by the Trail Cam Pro review but I regret this purchase every time I check this camera.

Had to sort through 4,000 pics to find pictures of 10 deer last time. Maybe I got a dud but I would not recommend this camera to anyone. Should have bought the Stealth Cam G30.

16. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Here you go, it had a few pics on it. It didn't have any day pics on it except my ugly mugg and I deleted those but they looked great quality wise. The night pics of deer are okay'ish, some really good some have quite a bit of motion blur. It seemed to trigger okay and out quite a long ways. I'm not too disappointed with it, my Covert Mp8 blacks always had a lot of night time motion blur as well as being really grainy.

We'll see how the batteries hold up and how durable the camera is. I like the larger format pics like you get with the Moultries and the Stealth Cams but these are okay for what they are and their narrower format seems to improve file size and battery life so it's a trade off.

I'll post more pics in the following days.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

18. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    yeah if there not moving it takes good night pictures. Hard saying on to get one or not

19. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I might not have the shutter speed set to high either, I didn't pay attention.

I probably wouldn't recommend them for the price. I had sort of unique circumstances is the only reason I bought one, namely wanting to support my archery shop and being curious about that specific camera. Without a doubt the Brownings are probably a better camera for the money and I know a G42ng or a G30 is going to be a far better quality camera for the money. I think any of those three cameras are priced at like $125 on Amazon, this Primos I paid $120 for and Amazon has it for $115 on Prime.

I'll add this one to the "offbrand" pile of cams I have and use and be happy with it for what it is but not buy any more.:lol:

20. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't add browning to the list of other cameras to get. My strike force night pictures are real bad with blur and are no where near that clear. Daylight pictures seems to have a lot of grain. I will keep mine but wont buy another. Personally from all the cameras I have had my Bushnell have been by far been my favorite, but there a little more in price then these other cameras. I would just go buy another inferred camera but my #1 buck does not like those at all and where I am wanting to put the next camera I cant mount it up in a tree facing down so just trying to get a new no/low glow camera without spending to much