Deep 6 Why?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Sota, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Why do some use deep 6 inserts is there a reason or is it just what some companies offer?

2. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Stronger and more thread count. I don't use them because theres more broadhead selection in standard inserts, more and more are offering them though

3. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I get that they would stronger, but that's not really a big selling point. Do they increase velocity or KE? Do they fly straighter?

4. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I believe the deep six are made for smaller diameter arrows like the injexions or VAPs...they are made so that you can still use a hidden insert in such a small ID arrow.

5. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing about Deep Six is better. The thin shaft is what's better. With a thin shaft, you have limited options on how to attach a broadhead and outserts generally suck. That leaves you with Deep Six and/or HIT insert systems.

Neither is as good as a traditional insert system but some people are willing to trade that off for the thin arrow diameter.

6. NC_Bowhunter

NC_Bowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have not used them and doubt I ever will but I think the main selling point with smaller diameter shafts is increased speed and less wind interference. Here in SE NC we don't have vast prairies and such where 50-80 yard shots are common. We don't have the open areas with little vegetation where the wind is always blowing. Most of our shots will be 30 yards or less. I have not really noticed any real differences in the smaller diameter than the larger ones when it comes to wind interference. I can see in cases that it would be extremely important but no really in mine.

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot Deep Six arrows and broadheads now. I was shooting the regular Easton FMJs and they performed really well for me. I have been shooting Easton arrows for the past 7 years and I really like the HIT insert. One thing I have noticed with the Deep Six is increased penetration. Even when I am shooting my 3D target and Glen Del Buck. My groups are tighter now as well and they are little faster. I shot 321 through a chrono with my Z7 Magnum and a Deep Six arrow. I shot a buck quartering to me through the shoulder last year at 21 yards. Clean pass through and that was with my Mathews Creed. I like the FMJ arrows. I have had a pass thru on every deer I have shot with both the regular FMJs and the Deep Six Injexions. Like NC_Bowhunter said we don't get a lot of open terrain shots here. The longest shot I can take in most cases is 30 yards. I do shoot out to 50 yards when I practice. They do hit the target harder even at that range. When I was shooting at the GTG last year a few of the guys asked how fast was my bow because the sound the arrow was making when it hit the 3d target. The selection of broadheads is an issue for some, but I shoot the Rage broadheads. In particular the Hypodermic. That is an Awesome broadhead on a standard arrow. On a Easton Injexion Deep Six FMJ it is WICKED!!!