B-Roll/Secondary Angle footage?

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by muzzystrut19, Aug 26, 2015.

1. muzzystrut19

muzzystrut19 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Canon FS300, small compact camcorder, would this be a good option for b-roll footage in the tree and/or a good option for secondary angle footage? Any opinions on where and how to set up this camera in the tree would help? I was thinking a set-up in front or above the hunter to catch the action in the tree during a hunt....

Thanks

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think it would do the trick for secondary angle just fine. What's your main camera? For B-roll, I'm sure you could get some good footage, but I doubt that cam has much of a depth of field. Most handycam type camcorders record a very flat image. B-roll tends to have a lot of depth of field shots and rack focus. That's why most of that type of shooting is done using DLSR's. They afford you the ability to have much more control over the image and look that you are trying to achieve.

Regardless, work with the tools you've got. Unless you are looking for professional output, you can get by with just about anything.

3. muzzystrut19

muzzystrut19 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Appreciate the response, for a main camera I have been periodically using the Canon EOS Rebel T3i, with VERY minimal success, not much of a DSLR user and honestly don't want to be for video footage, but am looking into the Canon G30. Just had the FS300 laying around the house and thought it could be a good addition to the in-tree filming...

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You could use the G30 for your primary cam, the FS300 for a second angle and use the T3i and a fast lens for b-roll footage. Just a thought, but that's how I would use them if they were the tools I had.