Shooting Broadhead's before season starts...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Noblacksheep, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Noblacksheep

Noblacksheep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yesterday, I decided it was time to sling some broad heads and get a feel of them with my bow. I wanted to be sure my sights were zeroed and I had the feel of how my arrow will fly with a broad head.

I use NAP Killzone COC 100gr. I shot the arrow about 25 times from distances of 30, 25, 20, 15, and 10 yards. The 26th time I shot, it broke after I pulled it out of the target. I wasn't planning on using the same broad head over and over again. I was just curious if anyone has experienced this during practice or in a hunting scenario?

2. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You used the actual expandable broad head to practice!? They make practice heads that don't physically open, don't keep ruining you heads they're not cheap!

3. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep - I had the tip break on one doing the same thing...

4. Stubert

Stubert Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I beat up a couple of Grim reapers a few years ago shooting into foam targets, Mechanicals don't hold up well with repeated target use. I switched to a 2 blade fixed, they never break.

5. OzarkLuke

OzarkLuke Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I did bend a magnus stinger the other day. Sighted with the wrong pin and shot it into the OSB that is the top layer of my block target. Pretty sure it bent getting it out not goin in.

6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, if you contact NAP they will tell you their heads aren't designed to be shot over and over into foam. I made this mistake this spring with my Gobbler Getter heads for turkey. They sent me new blades and new clips.

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ever think you might have an issue if the head your using cant hold up to use on target foam? Last I checked it's quite a bit softer then say a scapula .....

8. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have completely abused both my target and a pack of Magnus Black Hornets over the past week. Well over 100 shots, still in great shape. Hell they are still sharp.

9. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have Muzzy's that I use for practice that have been shot into targets hundreds upon hundreds of times. They have hit the dirt, heck, some have even gone through the side of my shed. None have broke, ever. Pitch that junk in the garbage and get a quality head that will stand up to some abuse. There are a lot of good heads out there.

10. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's why I use fixed blades and even then I've had some pot metal crap heads that would break just as easily as mechs. NAP hellrazors are bulletproof. I never practice with field tips, I keep a practice set of arrows and heads exactly like I hunt with. I want absolutely zero discrepancies between what I practice with and what I'm betting on a deer's life with. Even with "faux" practice heads for mechs, I feel like there's too much room for variation. If everything is on, it's on...if something is wrong...I know it immediately.

11. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep with mechanicals best bet is to use the practice head...and with fixed blades like my Slick tricks I shoot them just to broadhead tune then I just replace the blades to go out and hunt with. Once my broadheads are hitting with field points I stop shooting them for practice. I did unfortunately blow one slick trick through my block on a weak spot and hit the stone foundation of a barn so that one's toast...then last night I shot one slick trick at 2" dot at 20 yards then field point and I had both arrows touching...I hit the blade with the tip of the field point broke it off and nocked the insert out a 1/4"...whoops there goes another one...but at least I know I'm on.

12. 87TT

87TT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Muzzy stuck in a 2X4(don't ask) and it still looks good , just can't pull it out. Ha ha ha.

13. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    its what we call testing the real heads before heading out to the field. thats a smart decision. what if you dont test the real heads and after you miss a deer and you test it and found out they dont fly anything comaperd to tips and practice heads. i dont trust practice heads compared to field tips. not all broadheads on the market fly like field tip dont go over connfident with it till you test it.

14. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He shot it 25 times, that's not broad head tuning or testing. They're not made for that. I personally shoot thunderheads so don't get the fanboy idea. Mechanicals are simply not made to be shot into a block repeatedly. They are however made to leave a wicked blood trail from everything I've ever seen. My point has nothing to do with checking your broadhead point-of-impact in relation to field points prior to hunting, that's a given. But even that has far more to do with bow tuning than a broadhead's ability to fly like a field point.

15. Noblacksheep

Dislikes Received:
    That's why I didn't use the practice blades. I wanted it to be exactly like I'd use them hunting. I was a little surprised it broke.

16. Noblacksheep

Dislikes Received:
    First season bowhunting. Still learning. Not too worried about them breaking. They'll do their job when need be. Lesson learned: mechs are not good for repeated shots.

17. Noblacksheep

Dislikes Received:
    I filled out their contact page thing and told them what happened. Did you call them or email them?

18. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    first thing I did was ditch my broadhead target. I bought a few ton of masonry sand and it will last me my lifetime for about $50. I haven't shot field points for about 10 years now. I only practice with my broadheads. the visual effect of all of a sudden there is a broadhead on my arrow instead of a field point can be distracting. after only practicing with broadheads I no longer have that distraction. after watching wade nolans broadhead test (on you tube) I will never shoot a mechanical. just no durability with them. this is just my opinion and I know there are guys that will swear by mechanicals and it is their right to like what they choose.

19. Noblacksheep

Dislikes Received:
    It's my first season bowhunting. Never have killed a deer with a bow. I'm using mechanicals because they impressed me. As far as durability, I'm not too concerned about repeated use. As long as the first shot I take hits where I need it to, they'll do their job. I have a decent grouping at 30 yards of 1 1/2 inches. I've been practicing since January. I may change it up during the off season and try some different things out. I definitely am glad you're sharing all of this because I didn't realize how easily a mechanical can break.

20. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I emailed then they called me actually.