Drawbacks to a 1-pin sight?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Joe Collins, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Joe Collins

Joe Collins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey peeps,

Are there any draw backs to using a 1 pin adjustable sight? I was checking some of them out and have been considering getting one.

2. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    you need to adjust the sight to the range you want to shoot at... other than that. they are much better

3. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    basic complaint/drawback to a single pin is time and movement required to dial the site for the shot... with a moving deer ya will never get it and have to guess hold over/under if your gonna take that shot.. risky... plus the deer might see your movement to set the site and skadaddle...

advantages are ya dont have to split pins for odd yardage shots (pins set 20,30,40 and deer is 34)...

I shoot a 3 pin adjustable (black and gold).. IMHO the best of both worlds.. 20,30,40 pins for when I dont have time or dont want movement for those close shots... but able to set it to exact yardage for those longer shots where ya have the time and less apt to be seen doing it

4. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would also add. consistency. if you practice long range. the single pin is much better. when you bring it in close. those groupings get alot tighter because you are aiming the same spot every range, and have a less cluttered field of view. when i use a multi pin. my 40,30,20yrd are all about the same sized grouping. when i use a single pin, i break nocks at 30.

5. Wingtipsdown

Wingtipsdown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have 1 of my empires rigged up with an HHA.
    You figure out what yardage works the best and what I mean by that is this:
    Mine works best set at 35 yards and doesn't move.
    7 inches high at 20 yards
    5 inches high at 30 yards
    5 inches low at 40 yards
    This is my backup bow, my go to bow is a hogg it 5 pin.

I didn't get it at first, but with the single pin there is no moving the pin - it's not needed (only move if you have time to clearly do so).
    In a quick pinch it would still be a done deal set at 35.

My son purchased this HHA sight from a member here. He like it and purchased a new sight with .010 pin so I bought the sight from him? It is a .019 pin.

Consider a .010 when looking. My son loves his .010 - I have shot his bow and the .010 is great!

Clarity from the single pin is absolutely unreal.
    Good luck with your decision.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  6. Zweibarrt

Zweibarrt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You will need to shoot enough to set your pin for the type hunting, as Wingtipsdown did.

Where I hunt, for whitetails, my pin is currently set to be on at 20 yd. I hold about 4 in high for 30. I practice out to 40 yd, but I won't shoot a whitetail past 30. If I were hunting elk, I would set it up differently.

Don't even think about making pin adjustments while hunting.

7. Joe Collins

Joe Collins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hmm....Couldn't I just take all the pins off my multipin sight except one of them and set it for a certain yardage? I mean, if I'm never going to move it I could save a few bucks and 'DIY' my own 1-pin sight that way eh?

8. bowhuntingbebout

bowhuntingbebout Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same here.

9. Wingtipsdown

Wingtipsdown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats the beauty, you can do whatever you like.
    My parents bought me a compound bow for my 14 Xmas present and I shot it for 2 years without any sights. I could hit a fishing bobber at 30 yards on bets with family and friends that came to our house.
    I read something that Levi Morgan said and don't quote me on this but it was something like this.
    I read distances down into feet, not yrds - feet break it down 3 times more.
    That really hit home with me and it makes great since for the guys shooting at the top and that's why they are at the top of their game. My single pin is crazy at 45 to 66 on my bow. I can shoot 60 with my hogg it, but the oddball yardages are dead nuts with the single pin. Do I kill past 40? Do I shoot 80 like Bryan Jeffrey? No to both, but it's fun as heck when practicing and that's wayyyyy to cooooooooool....

Time for a quick thanks.
    Bryan,
    Thanks for posting your video for us a while back on the long shot. I will post up after the season because I can tell you that the 60 pin on my hogg it will end up being hopefully at least 80.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  10. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can.. you just won't have a yardage dial on the side but if you are going to just leave it in one spot I don't see a problem. I use a single pin for vegas style and 3d shooting then throw on my 6 pin for hunting

11. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The ONLY reason I won't hunt with one is I am afraid I will be adjusting my sight when the biggest buck of my life disappears.

I did hunt for many years with a single, fixed, non-movable pin. But I never shot (even targets) at more than 25 yards. But that was 20+ years ago. Now I am a 3 pin, all green, set at 20, 35 & 50. I can do all ranges out to 55-60 with three. I like the less clutter and I have chance less to pick the wrong pin. I will only shoot at a deer at 40 or less and the 50 is nice for target or a second long shot at a hit animal.

12. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use my pins to assist in ranging the target. For example; I can estimate a deer to be at 20 yards but when I draw and get it in my sights I can tell by where the top two pins are sitting that it is actually closer to 30 yards.

The pin gaps don't replace range estimation skills by any means but they can serve as another tool to use.

Of course a laser range finder makes this whole approach moot.

13. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use a range finder and pre-range markers (usually trees or rocks) in my shooting lanes so I don't have to try and range the actual deer unless they surprise me. Works out well for me, even when I was multi-pins I did the same thing.

14. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is my first year using a single-pin. So far the biggest drawback is forgetting to move the damn sight when I go from 60 to 20 and I sail the damn arrow over the target by about 8'.

15. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    adjusting the one pin is much easier than adjusting 4 or 5 pins. IMO

I set my pin on 25 yd for hunting and just hold it a little high or low if I need to and anything beyond 40 is far enough to range and dial in exactly.

16. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This exactly. I appreciate the fact that my single pin makes me think about yardages more than I used to and to have the cleaner sight window when 99% of my shots are going to be well under 30 yards anyway, is a big bonus. The only time I have use for shots out past 40 is showing off and playing on the target range, I certainly don't have any use for 50-60+ yard pins in a tree stand.

17. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, dont this a time or ten

18. NC_Bowhunter

NC_Bowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will never go back to a multi pin sight. Just too much going on during the heat of the moment lol....I love my HHA better than any sight I have had. Like Afflicted, I leave mine on 20-25 yards and I practice at all different distances without adjusting. The only time I adjust is when I have plenty of time to range where the deer is at or where I think he will be...Unfortunately most of the time they are in a hurry lol...Love having that option though