Lifeline users...question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Matt/TN, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This will be my first year using Lifelines, I purchased a few from Bass Pro. (They have them for $29.97 thru August 30). I went and put them on my hang on setups and I have a question. Do you guys that use them, just stay connected to the lifeline even when you make it to your stand or are you switching off to a treestand. The reason I ask is because I have a stand that's in the 26-27' range and I have to start the bottom of the lifeline about 6-7' off the ground to make it all the way up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ruteger

ruteger Guest

I don't have any stands over 20' so the issue you're talking about isn't a problem for me, but I've wondered what others do in the case of a stand height that is longer than their LifeLine. I would say you're probably safer clipping on at 6-7' than switching out lines higher in the air. 6-7' should be easy enough to clip onto from the ground or around the first step.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tie it off as low on the tree as you can, and hook in there. I have 30' lifelines and usually set up around 20' or so off the ground. I stay attached to the lifeline from the moment I step on the sticks to the moment I step off.

4. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Instead of tying around the tree at the bottom, sometimes I will use a screw in step. that gives me a couple extra feet of line if I need it.

5. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do this as well. If I have to, I might set the line up so that I have to climb the first stick before I hook on. I'd rather risk falling 4' than risk falling from 20+ when I'm unclipping to climb into the platform.

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed. I've had this issue in WI for rifle season. I get it as low as a can and clip in as soon as possible.

7. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    I actually used a screw in step as well. Great minds think alike. I wasn't wanting to switch from the lifeline to tree strap until after I was on the platform but I'll make it work

8. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ^^This 30' lifeline gets us to 25+ feet as we just tie a knot on a tree step up where we can reach to clip in on the bottom...the bottom only needs to be secure enough so that the prussic can slide up on your way up. SOme trees I'll just stay clipped into my lifeline as my safety line up top, and some I will switch off to a linemens belt when I am up in the tree...you hook in to the set-up up at the top then you disconnect from the lifeline...at no time should you not be hooked in...otherwise whats the point.

9. Wingtipsdown

Wingtipsdown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My lifelines start at least 5 foot off the ground.
    1 stand I have to climb 2 steps and then clip in.

I'd rather not have something 2 steps up and have it all the way to the top.
    Try and go from lifeline to the strap at the top without completely unhooking.

I do have a tree that I have to unhook, but when I unhook I'm standing in a huge fork of the tree and reach over to hook back in.
    Bottom line is, if you're going out of your way to be safe - that's great!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  10. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Other guys have already said this but if my stand is higher than the length of my lifeline, I'll tie the bottom to a screw in step or climbing stick. The wrap around the tree is above my head like a regular tree strap. Once I lock in on the bottom I'm connected the whole way up and down.

11. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I find it interesting how many people clip out of the lifeline and onto a tree strap.

12. nhbowhunt

nhbowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I stay hooked to the life line my stands are set up 18 to 20 feet I would hook as soon I could

13. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    I think they (myself included) are talking about securing the bottom of the lifeline to a treestep

14. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I've had multiple people tell me they switch from the lifeline to a tree strap once they are in the tree.

15. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    yes, me too? Why not just stay hooked to the lifeline and not use a tree strap? How can a lifeline work while climbing the tree but not work while in your stand?

16. Wingtipsdown

Wingtipsdown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree.
    1 - hook in at or close to ground level
    2 - get in your stand and stay hooked into the life line
    3 - hook up to the strap on your tree
    4 - now unhook your life line.

That is the safest way.
    Be as safe as you can be.

While I'm back to bow hunting I have always been up into trees - high into the trees.
    Years ago I was building a shooting house and I had the roof left to put on I lifted it up and slid it into place.
    I then needed to screw it down.
    So I'm thinking - "ok, I'll climb out the window and onto the roof".
    "screw the roof down, then step out off the roof and bear hug the tree that is about 4 foot away".
    "then shimmy down the tree to the ground".

"Wait - I'm older and shouldn't being doing the things I did years ago".

Made a few more straps and screwed it down from the inside.

When I was younger - things were thought out - but I did some safe stupid things!

17. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I misread what you typed. My bad!

18. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    "interesting"? I find it scary. Just loop a heavy rope around the tree and tie to it. I would never trust my life to a screw in step. Actually, after having one brake a few years ago while climbing once I never use them anymore. When it snapped I gashed my leg (stiches) on a lower one and was sore for weeks. Lucky I had a lifeline or.........THUD.

19. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Screw in step goes at the bottom of the tree. I use the loop in the end of the life line to wrap around the tree up top. No, I would not trust a screw in step up top.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

20. used2belucky

used2belucky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    pretty much all my stands i have to climb a few steps before hooking in. wish they made them a little longer. especially large trees use quite a bit of rope to get around.I stay hooked in at all times.
    had the cables break on a stand a few years back and dropped right out from under me.. thank god i was connected, and the seat was folded down so i really just fell about a foot and landed my butt on the seat.
    had a good friend fall from a 20 foot set roughly 5 years ago. has lots of hardware in his legs and a nasty limp. lucky to be alive. its not worth the risk. first thing i do when hanging a new set is hang my lifeline and hook in. lineman's belts are great but i don't trust them 100%