Shotgun Choke Tubes

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BigPhil_H, Aug 24, 2015.

1. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What's your favorite? I shoot a Benelli SBE II and I'm more than happy with the Crio chokes but when I was cleaning my gun tonight, in preparation and excitement for upcoming the dove season, I begun wondering which chokes everyone else likes. Turkey, waterfowl, dove, buckshot, etc...

2. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Carlson. You can buy more expensive chokes but you won't buy better.

3. BigPhil_H

Dislikes Received:
    Haha, I've often contemplated getting a Carlson. Maybe this year I'll go out on a limb and get one for the heck of it.

4. MTSCMike

MTSCMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another Carlson's fan! I particularly like their extended "sporting clays" chokes in stainless with the black finish. No glare, superior pattern performance and easy to change in the field. I have the .665 Turkey and a full set of CYL thru FULL for my Benelli M2 and SBE II. Worth more than every penny they cost!

5. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a kicks high flyer.

That choke, Kent Fasteel and my Benelli Nova is one deadly combo.

6. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For my SBEII I have a couple Comp-n-Chokes Light Mod & Improved Mod, Kicks High Flyer Improved Cylinder, & Patternmaster Code Black Goose...I find myself using my Comp-N-Choke Light Mod throughout most of my waterfowl season though. Early goose is usually my Patternmaster or Improved mod Comp-n-choke. My Nova I only have a Comp-N-Choke Light Mod, for now.

7. BigPhil_H

Dislikes Received:
    I emailed Carlson's today and I think I'm going to order the mid-range Cremator tomorrow

8. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Carlsons, Indian Creek, Pattern Master

9. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just use the factory chokes since i don't do much shotgun shooting or small game hunting. The only choke I bought was a hevi-shot choke for turkey hunting which preformed flawlessly.

10. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Indian Creek for turkey, and stock set for dove.

11. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've always shot factory chokes... And I' have been shooting since I was 5.. competition & hunting.

For doves I shoot a modified with #7 shot

Ducks and geese it depends on where I hunt... I'll use modified to full choke

Learn to shoot and you won't need to buy 50-150$ choke tubes To make you feel better about your shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. BigPhil_H

Dislikes Received:
    Getting a new choke has nothing to do with making myself feel better about my shooting nor my shooting abilities. I'm not even sure where that came from.

To put my impression of your argument in perspective - you have an old Martin and aluminum Easton arrows...you shouldn't ever upgrade because you've been shooting it since you were 5 and have killed animals and won tournaments with it? Hell, I guess getting a new Mathews, Carbon Express arrows and a Lone Wolf is out of the question too; they don't make you a better shot or hunter either.

Finally, being a competition shooter, I would assume you knew your guns and chokes. Shooting steel out of a full? Ouch, how did your shot string like that as it doesn't compress like lead? Not to mention the dangers associated

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  13. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've always shot factory chokes for dove. I have a turkey choke, but I've never used it. I might get a Carlson for waterfowl this year. Not sure!

14. BigPhil_H

Dislikes Received:
    Not happy with the new Carlson's Cremator choke tube. I got the mid range which is .705 and compared it to the Benelli improved modified that came with the gun and the Benelli tube is holding quite a bit tighter with much less flyers. I'm still going to try it tomorrow while dove hunting but I have a feeling that I may be putting the original tube back in.

15. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Normally that refers to a full choke barrel. But in other cases it may be with the screw in chokes as well. Check with manufacturers to what they recommend. I've been shooting my 870 wingmaster for over 10 years and use a full choke in it every season and I have probably put 1500-2000 rds through that choke with not 1 Single problem and no damage whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. BigPhil_H

Dislikes Received:
    I've never seen anyone reply to their own post but I will. Although the Benelli Crio held a little tighter group on paper, I don't know if it was a shortened shot string that affected my shooting today, but wow... I've never killed so many birds in one day, yet "dusted" them from 50 yards plus. I started off with the Cremator and brought my Benelli Crio improved modified as a back up, I never even thought about changing. Funny thing is, I sent an email to Carlson's yesterday saying that I wanted to return it..not a chance. Many of the guys that I hunt with were asking what choke it was as they also shoot the SBE II and asked if they could borrow mine and where to get one. Needless to say, I'm very happy with my purchase and would recommend.

17. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will shoot nothing but Carlson's.

18. BigPhil_H

Dislikes Received:
    194 birds in these two pics. We started hunting at 1:30pm and these are just the birds from us that hunted until sunset that afternoon. I've never had so many birds hit the ground dead and not have to ring their necks. Incredible day and hands down my favorite choke

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]