Which would you pick

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by kurveball18, Aug 24, 2015.

1. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So I tried out the slick trick magnums with my setup and they fly ok but I didn't like that they made a loud buzzing sound. Good looking broadhead though. If you had my setup and you had to choose between either the Rage SS or the NAP Killzone Low KE which would you pick and why?

55 pound DW
    27" draw
    395ish grain Eason Axis arrow at 242 fps

I didn't know that NAP had a low ke version but I definitely like the spring concept versus the shock collar design that rage has. It definitely works as I've hunted with the chisel tips the past 2 years but I never was completely satisfied with the fact that the shock collar has to break in order for them to open.

Just looking for everyones thoughts if they had to pick one of these two with my setup.

2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If the Slick Tricks are making a noise check to make sure that they are screwing both flat in the insert and check your vanes in the arrow. I have been using slick tricks for a few years and never had this problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I tried it on 3 different arrows and every single one did it. I even did a quick google search and found numorous of other people who had it as well. Honestly I don't blame the head or anything. Everybodys bow setup is different and arrows are different. I think its like blowing air over a soda bottle. If you blow just the right amount it will whistle. If I Had to guess, If I turned up my DW a few pounds it would either go away or whistle louder or quitter. I could still hunt with the tricks as they fly close to the field points but not perfect. I was just looking for other ideas and thoughts on those other two heads that fly almost identical as my fieldpoints.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  4. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have some Steel Force PhatHeads that sing all the way to the target. I would never use a rage again. I would consider the NAP, I like their products. But I think if you tried some Exodus you would be happier. Or Nap Hellrazors or Thunderhead. Exodus are the same length as a FP, fly great, are sharp, durable & made in the USA too. My only beef is every 100gr ones I weighed was 101.9gr. But I have been called Grandma a few times.

5. flatwoodshunter

flatwoodshunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My setup is similar to yours, around 390 grains at 264 fps. I use Slick Trick Standard 100 grain. They fly great and have not noticed any noise.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  6. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shot slick tricks for several years and I always noticed a "hiss" when I would shoot. I noticed it more when I would stand down range. I used to have my targets set up to where I could stand behind a wall and shoot and the arrow would go past me... It allowed me to hear the arrow coming. The slicks always hissed but I never once had a deer get out of the way fast enough. Absolutely devastating heads.

If I were setting you up, I would make you shoot a fixed blade- a slick trick standard or magnum- and tell you to broadhead tune your bow. Your slicks should hit with your field tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think you answered your own question...if you don't like the shock collars and prefer the spring action of the killzones...go with the Killzones...I prefer no O-rings or rubber bands myself.