Midwest Guys - Any EHD This Year?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rick James, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone seeing any EHD this year in the midwest?

This weekend I visited one of my leases that's down in Fulton County, IL. Smelled something dead in the creek bottom, but didn't have time to go check it out as it was getting dark and I had about a 2 mile string of trail cams to check out. I didn't really think much of it to be honest.......

Then last night I saw a post by Drury Outdoors on FB that they had found one dead and there are lots of mixed reports from all over the midwest on the thread saying people are finding them elsewhere as well.

Have you found any dead deer that have been either suspected or confirmed as EHD?

2. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've actually heard zero reports this year here in Wester IL (compared to many the last few years)...I think this strangely cool/damp summer was great for the deer.

3. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  4. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't heard of anyone finding dead deer this year from EHD. Couple got into swathers, but thats all I have heard.

5. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not a lot but a few scattered stories here and there. But with as wet as it was, and as dry as it is now, I could see it starting to pop up a little more. We haven't had a decent rain in a couple months here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. IAMIKE

IAMIKE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Alls quiet here in Iowa for the most part.... Hope it stays that way.

7. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Just heard from our fulton county guys... might have found one dead. This is terrible news - here's to hoping its not serious!

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I always considered us as part of the midwest but the way I see the media convoluting what is called "the midwest" these days I don't know anymore, lol.
    Anywho...no, I've not heard any reports at all from MO and/or KS about EHD this year. I would imagine there are a few cases every year in isolated pockets, we're probably a lot more sensitive to the news since the big problem the last few years. As many bucks as we have this year, it would be a disaster here if it hit hard, I'd be totally heartbroken.

9. BH.COM-CLINTON

BH.COM-CLINTON BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Neal,
    I assume your talking about Frank. He walked up on a small buck that was dead from EHD last weekend. Then while he was checking it out he kicked a 160 class ten out of the same ditch. Hopefully it doesnt start getting to bad. In the past it always hits the last week of august first week of september so we shall see.

10. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Clinton - Do you know if this was anywhere near my lease?

I worked a show at Presley's this weekend for BowTech and managed to zip down after to check cams and smelled something dead near the road where I park near that wheat field. Now I'm wishing I would have walked through there to check things out.....

~Matt

11. BH.COM-CLINTON

BH.COM-CLINTON BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Matt,
    Frank found the deer over on our Farm by Vermont. Its the only one that I have heard of so far. But The next two Weeks is usually when it hits.

12. seangarchery

seangarchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in southern Illinois and I have not heard of any outbreaks here. It has been extremely wet here all summer. Even in August so far it has prob rained 2 times a week on average. I don't think there will be a problem here and I sure hope not.

13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Already been hit upon, but if it's going to happen now will be when it starts.

All the record flooding along the IL river and followed up by a long spell of dry weather will do it.

All the receding waters leaving behind stagnated pools of water filled with rotting carp, I'm sure the gnats and midges can thrive in that. Often wondered if the abundance of Asian carp rotting away after flooding doesn't play a bigger role in it as well.

14. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    SE Ohio we had plenty of fresh water in the streams and nothing dead spotted......knock on wood!

15. pohl-cat

pohl-cat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Have not heard of anybody finding any in soutcentral Michigan so fare. 2 years ago we had a large outbreak! Sure hope we stay away from it this year.

16. DozRdeer2

DozRdeer2 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We had a captive deer operation confirm EHD back in late-July, or early August; and have had a handful of reports from west-central Illinois at my office. A single dead deer is nothing to get excited about as deer die from many things throughout the year. Remember, contact with fast moving vehicles on roadways is a year-round event, and many injured animals will go to water. If you find fresh dead animals, check the mouths for dark discoloration of gums/swelling of tongue, which are often indicative of HD. Notify your wildlife biologist or DNR office and give information on the location (distance/direction from nearest town) and the number, age, sex of the dead animals observed. Virus isolation in a lab is the only way to confirm EHD and any sample must be very fresh -- a difficult task in warm summer weather. Tom

17. seangarchery

seangarchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pulled my cam card and saw this on there. I don't like what I see. The picture was taken on August 26th I think. I'd say this deer has ehd? What do you guys think?
    uploadfromtaptalk1442038110237.jpg

18. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As of now, nothing found on our farm. Population has taken such a hit the last 3-4 years though, sign is minimal at best.