How do you fire someone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Hooker, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just got a call from the Montessori school that we want our daughter to go to that a spot is available. We put her name on the list a year ago, just as kind of a back up plan in case our nanny ever quit or left for some reason and we would at least be ahead of the game a bit.

Me and the wife have been talking about enrolling our daughter in a more school like atmosphere maybe in the spring, but the spot is available now and we don't know when another spot will become available, so we are probably going to take it.

Now I just need to fire the nanny...I've never fired anyone before. I wish I could give her more notice. I'm thinking of paying her for September even though we won't need her services. That seems fair, right?

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    More than fair IMO.

I think this shouldn't be that bad. It's not like you're canning her to replace her with another nanny. She should be more than understanding. Especially with a month's paid wages.

I'd sit her down one of the next few times she's in and let her know how things played out.

Good luck!

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Explain it just like you did, compensate her for at least 2 weeks pay when you let her go.

4. BikiBoki

BikiBoki Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Paying her for September is generous, and a kind gesture. If you explain it to her the way you wrote it, she should certainly understand. Good luck.

5. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    "YOU FIRED!!!"

or

What others have said - just tell her the truth. You have legit reason and any normal person would understand.

6. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't think twice about it. The service industry should expect turnover. I would look at it no different than if you switched what school your kid was in, what lawn service you used, which accountant did your taxes, etc... Life will go on. Obviously if she is a close family friend then it muddies the water (which is why I avoid such situations as best as possible in the first place).

7. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would pay her and have her clean your house and get beer for you instead. She will be just looking after a big baby instead.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think someone doing that kind of work should understand as long as you let her know that it's nothing she has done, just that the opportunity was presented to you sooner than you expected it. I think a months salary would be an honorable gesture.

9. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    She is a friend. So yeah...kinda makes it harder. If it was just some nanny we found off a service I wouldn't have a problem.

10. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Compensation and a great review (if it's her full time job) should be more than fair I would say.

11. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Seems to me you have it figured out, and you aren't so much firing her as much as "her services are no longer needed"
    kinda deal. Oh the stories I can tell from firing people..... fights, grown *** men crying, amazing excuses...... I have seen some real doozies. Even have had to involve LE a couple times....

We recently went through something similar. My daughter had been on a list for a different preschool but it appeared she wasn't gonna get an opening in time. So we enrolled her in a program that my wife's friend runs at a local church. Naturally as soon as we did and paid the initial costs the school we wanted called and offered a position. My wife didn't want to pull her from her friends program initially but sometimes you gotta do what is best for you and your kid. A true friend will understand that.

12. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Water sounds like its muddied... so if its your wife's friend let her be the one to explain the situation, otherwise you need to tell your friend the straight up.

No reason to feel troubled by the results of the conversation.

Remember its all about your little one and that is what drove the decision to start with.. has nothing to do with friendships..it's all about family!

13. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Who's going to watch you?

14. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You fire someone for wrongdoing this is a layoff big difference in my world we get two hrs to pickup our tools :)

15. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    30 days severance pay and the explanation given here should be more than adequate.

16. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would just continue to pay her until the 18th birthday:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. sheddinva

sheddinva Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You could do like Ben Affleck and appear to be having an affair and your wife would fire her right away...

18. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think September is fair. It's tough to let her go this time of year because it'll be tough for her to find a new nanny job once the school year started. In some ways it's not like a typical service provider. It relies a lot more on the school year and planning. Once school starts, it's tough to find a replacement for her or for a kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    " I don't need your services anymore, good luck"

20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like to line up all the employees up in a row, then tell all the employees to take a step forward, when the nanny goes to take a step forward you say not so fast Nanny and then explain to her that her services are no longer needed. It does wonders for the moral of the existing employees that still have a job.:p