Salesman / Bow Hunter Ride

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by jvanhees, Aug 24, 2015.

1. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have been thinking about this for a while now...and thought I'd throw it out there for discussion.

What do you salesmen have for a daily driver / bow hunting rig?

I am responsible for my gas bill each week for my commute(45 mins 1 way) and for my sales calls(all over), which is why I drive a VW TDI. It gets like 40-45mpg usually which is awesome.

But, I also hunt before/after work without going home....go to Ohio for work and hunt there too. Now I have hunted out of this car last year, and it works....but not pretty. Especially when I shoot a deer, or need to get somewhere remote.

Is there a certain vehicle that can be good on gas, roomy enough to take a customer to lunch, but still get the job done when it comes to all things bow hunting? I understand I work 12 months out of the year, and hunt 3....just curious what any others have been happy with.

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got an F-150. I don't get the best mileage (22ish on the highway if I keep it around 65, 17.5 around town), but I need a truck for all the stuff I do when not at work.

I pay out of pocket for my travel to/from work (25ish miles each way). I get to expense any company mileage though so that helps me quite a bit. For me, it just didn't make sense to have a cheaper car to rack up miles on when you add in cost of maintenance, insurance, registration, etc. So I got an F-150 with the SuperCrew cab and I love it.

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have potential for travel too....not the same degree but travel...and it is the only reason making me consider an AWD SUV over a truck for my next purchase. Still haven't fully decided. I've often thought about getting a work nice commuter car and then just buying a cheap beater 4x4...

4. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Going to be hard pressed at that mileage. what I would look for is something big enough to be able to fit your gear, have a hitch installed an get a hit rack that will fit inside that you can pull out and load on the occasion you get something.

5. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I like the 2010-2012 Escapes for this type of set up and a low mileage one may honestly make the practical sense for me this next year when searching for a new vehicle.

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    buy what you you want....write it all off very liberally and enjoy it.

7. jemcmichael

jemcmichael Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I drive a 2010 Escape. I get about 27 mpg in mixed driving. For a smaller SUV I really like it. Rides a lot more like an SUV than most other crossover types. If you put a hitch on it you could easily haul a deer

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Good to hear. What engine you got in yours out of curiosity? You pull a trailer much with it or boat?

9. jemcmichael

jemcmichael Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I only have a four cylinder in it. Was driving 60 miles round trip to work at 3.75 a gallon when I got it so I was focused on gas mileage. Haven't hauled any boats.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

10. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 6 cyl AWD Ford Escape. Lots of power, 24 mpg mixed driving. It will pull an aluminum boat no problem.

11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    If I do end up going the route of a SUV the Escape definitely has my eye more than any other. Ability to get good gas mileage yet haul a trailer or hitchrack is appealing.

12. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    which TDI do you have? If you like it, wouldn't the SportsWagen suit your purpose and not lose the mileage?

13. jvanhees

Dislikes Received:
    The hitch idea isn't bad. Anyone ever think of a 4 cyl jeep or truck? Mileage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    If I was gonna go to a 4 cylinder truck it'd honestly be a Tacoma if price was no concern....otherwise either a Nissan Frontier or a Canyon/Colorado (confirmed they are made in 4 cylinder in some years). I personally don't like the small feel of a Ranger but they make a heck of a truck some of my buddies swear (granted they both have their's lifted and bigger tires on them but.....

Modern 4 cylinders are capable of what many old 6's did...just like modern 6's can nearly do just about all an old 8 could. I have always been a 5 cylinder or bigger kinda guy, but honestly the 4 cylinder's get good reviews just lack the overall raw power to do any serious pulling...but could easily tackle the tasks I throw at a truck and maybe you as well. Bonus is better gas mileage all around.

15. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    used to own a Jeep... the 4 cyl. is way under powered if your getting much off road or pulling a trailer... once the warranty was up I put an 8 in it and it was great... now have a Darango with the tow package... not bad mileage, more room inside without being too big to fit some of those over grown logging roads, throw a plastic tarp down in back for blood if/when I get one... and if I need more room, set up to pull the trailer... for around town or carrying extra people the seats fold back up and carries 7

16. jvanhees

Dislikes Received:
    2013 Passat. It's a nice car and I do like it - besides the fact I can't do anything that "cool" in it but can/I have made it work. Sport wagon is still 2wd.

I have a Yukon for the times when I really need to haul a boat or trailer so that's not an issue.

I've owned two Cherokees before they were ugly and liked the 4.0 motors. But that was a while ago. I'll have to look into the 4 banger trucks and jeeps/escapes for mileage.

17. jvanhees

Dislikes Received:
    How's the mileage of those 5 cylinders? Power? Seems to be a happy medium and the trucks aren't that tiny

18. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I know nick (coheley) loves the two he has had and says plenty of torque for getting the job done. Wanna say mileage is 15/22 for them but I'd look that up cuz that now seems maybe touch lower than perhaps actual.

19. jvanhees

Dislikes Received:
    Yea thats literally cutting my mileage in half.....which may be a sacrifice I need to make.

The trailer hitch idea may be what I look into next for the passat....

The new ugly cherokees/ jeep patriots both get close to 30...add a hitch and you have it all i guess.

20. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    The Ford Escape is getting attention from me...as much as I want a truck, I keep thinking the smart thing is an AWD SUV and keeping my old F150 RWD for the days I truly need the bed + trailer