Fear The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by cls74, Aug 24, 2015.

1. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It started off rather slow, but I guess that is to be expected with the first episode being dedicated to character development.

The original WD set the bar high, and it's hard to not compare/hold the two together. The one thing I didn't like was changing the eyes of the walkers. Not sure why they are baby blue rather than the greenish-brown or whatever. Small complaint overall.

It will be interesting to see how it evolves over the next 5 epsiodes. It's already at a disadvantage just due to the fact of what it is being compared to, but I think they did as well as could be expected. Going to take some time to separate the two shows in the viewers mind, hopefully they can do it.

It was definitely different, but think it was more of my doing trying to compare it to the original too much.

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't watched it yet but I thought they were supposed to be the same show? I mean set in the same timeline and in the same universe. So the walkers shouldn't have any reason to be different as far as I know...that's odd.

I've said all along I don't think I have room in my suspension of disbelief to afford another zombie/drama/soap opera. I keep up with the original because I started watching it and don't want to stop but I don't think I'll bother with the new one.

3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's still in the same timeframe and all, one thing they had mentioned is the walkers would be fresher since it is the beginning, whereas when Rick woke up it was already well into it.

Not sure if that's what it was or not, maybe I'm just nit-picking. They definitely looked a bit different than fresh zombies from TWD.

Won't ruin anything for you as far as what happened and such, it still looks interesting either way.

I'm curious to see if they try to link the two shows together to sync timelines. They could easily do it by showing say a news segment talking about the areas being affected and showing footage from outside of Atlanta where Shane, Lori and an unidentifiable Carl are caught in traffic on the highway or something. Nothing to include them in the story, more as an ah-ha moment syncing the two together.

4. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoyed the slow pace. This is a series about how the disease got started, so it's going to be slower than the current TWD. I actually thought FTWD jumped into the zombies too soon.

5. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Enjoyed it, im all in!

6. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The last 30 minutes saved the show. Not sure how much time I'm going to invest in this spin off. the idea of the show was to show prior to Rick waking. I don't see how they can make that last more than a season.

7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think they pretty much had to show their hands with the zombies. TWD has set the bar so expectations are fairly high. They can always go back and show what happens pre-zombie at any point, they did it multiple times on TWD so it can be done. Show the beginning stage of the hysteria being created and then jump back to the first reported cases elsewhere. I think the boy who had the knife entering school will be the key to the beginnings as they made it sound like he had been following it for awhile online.

It's going to be interesting how this one evolves, the nice part about it is you won't have the comic book know it alls trying to ruin it for those who don't want to know what happens next.

8. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    TWD is why this show will probably fail or just be another TWD. They can't afford to tell the story without throwing in a bunch of zombie action.

I'll be tuning in for both. I can handle two zombie shows coming on at different parts of the year.

9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm wondering how they will split the two.

TWD starts in October then mid season break and ends in April. Would they run this one from April to October or FTWD/TWD/FTWD/TWD. Either way there is going to be a long run. My guess would be April to October with a mid season break over the summer.

10. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't think it was all that bad. Like already said it was kind of a slow start but seems like it might pick up pretty quick. Will be neat to see if they try and tie the two series together or not.

Watched the season 6 preveiw for TWD too and it looks like it'll be a pretty fast start into the new season for that.

11. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    These shows are meticulously written to get people wondering/talking about it. If the eyes were blue, it was on purpose. It'll either be something for you to wonder about forever, or will eventually be exposed in the plot. GoT is a master at subtle things like this that will drive you crazy.

I haven't seen it yet, but seeing as how the winters are long and slow up here, I'll probably wait till after the season before watching this season.

12. SevenMag

SevenMag Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Eyes are blue cuz it's early on, it's an easy leap to make I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It wasn't bad, I did get tired of the Edward scissor hands look alike junky though. Hopefully if he sticks around he will change and be less of a waste.

14. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Me too. Glad to see the way they showed the guy turn without being bit first. We were led to believe for a long time in WD that you had to be bit first to turn. Maybe they will explain that more.

15. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They have the opportunity to go deep into the series and explain a lot of things.

The could do several episodes down the line showing the breakdown of the government, maybe bring back the CDC and show ehat they were researching before the one guy sealed himself in. Ending when TWD group showed up. I understand they want to build off from a core group, and maybe TWD creators don't want some of the unkown answered.

As long as their hands are not tied as to what they can and can't do, they have the potential to go with limitless angles and storylines.

Whether they have the writers, cast and support to do so would be the limiting factor.

16. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Lol @ that. totally thought the same thing.
    Well, one of the great things about WD is the evolution of the characters...remember how much everyone hated Carl until Season 3? How weak Carol was?

17. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Watching again now, they left the show off right. Watching again just to see what I may have missed

18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Edward scissor hands meets the devils advocate

19. SevenMag

SevenMag Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think his transformation from useless junkie into badass zombie killer will be part of the storyline and his "recovery/addiction" will be a an ongoing subplot for a season or two...

20. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoyed it also, but agree it jumped into the zombies too quickly. I currently am, and have been for over 2 years now, a Finance Manager for AMC so it is one of our shows and I know how much has gone into it Promo wise and we couldn't be happier with the outcome of the premier. It squashed all of our current records with the premiere coming in at 10.1 million viewers. I am interested to see how the remainder of the season pans out so I will be following. Stay tuned!