School me on your layers

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by okcaveman, Aug 23, 2015.

1. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking at purchasing a bit higher quality layering for those colder sits this year. I purchased an UA 4.0 last year and was pleased with it aside from the smell factor.
    How do yall layer, what do you use, and what would you recommend?
    Merino or synthetic?
    Thanks everyone

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Merino wool is very very warm, although I use synthetic, just because it's what I have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For cold weather sits I generally prefer synthetics over merino wool. I have three different merino wool base layers (Sitka, Core 4 Element & Scent Blocker) and I like my Sitka Traverse, Sitka Core Heavyweight and UA 4.0 base layers better than each of the merino options.

For cold weather my go to insulating layer (first layer after your base layers) is the Sitka Kelvin vest and pant. They pack down next to nothing and when you are wearing them you can hardly even tell you have them on. Their warmth to weight / bulk is outstanding.

Quality base like what you already have in the 4.0 with an insulating layer like the Sitka Kelvin and a windproof shell it shouldn't be to difficult to stay warm. Assuming you are not neglecting your head and have on a quality insulating hat.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  4. okcaveman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks buckeye. I was leaning toward the merino, but was seeing many people say it wasn't as warm as the synthetics. I'm looking for the best bang for my buck with as expensive as all the base layers are

5. dtimm77

dtimm77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like a base layer like UA or field and stream expedition base layer is nice. Then i have a UA MT. fleece that i really like. but have to have something that stops the wind. I carry all my extra layers in my pack on the way in. So i don't sweet to bad and add them as i need them.

6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I always heard how warm merino is so last year I bought a set of mid weight. It is honestly no warmer than my UA 2.0. So I wear the UA with the merino over it. When it's really cold I wear the UA, merino, then Cabela's E.C.W.C.S. Polar weight fleece under my outer layers.

I have since read not all merino is created equal and some brands are thicker than others so that is something to consider.

7. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ill be using sitka light weight base layers for early season then as it gets colder I'll switch to synthetic heavy weight. Sitka's big thing is their layering system and the warmth for weight ratio can't be beat IMO. I'm using the stratus outer layer but am going to try out the new fanatic series they came out with this year as well

8. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've had good luck going to a thrift shop and getting 100% wool sweaters for like $2-$3
    I have the UA 3.0 as my first layer then I usually put a tshirt over it. Then i'll layer with a nice wool sweater and maybe another fleece. I also have as a my last layer a sportsmans guide wool sweater windbreaker. I think they are like $80 but are very very warm. Then I have my Cabelas MT050 Jacket.

I'm actually looking at the Milwaukee Heated Jackets for this year. I've heard of guys wearing them as their 2nd layer just outside their base layer. If they get cold they just reach inside and push the button to turn it on low and then they warm up.

9. okcaveman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks yall. I just ordered some core4 stuff. A pair of the merino base pants, a merino crew long sleeve, and what I think was an amazing deal on the element xt jacket. All 3 and shipping for the msrp of just the jacket from eders. Almost seems to good to be true. Now anxiously awaiting it

10. okcaveman

Dislikes Received:
    If I like the stuff, I'll probably go ahead and get a vest and a heavier wool layer for the colder sits.

11. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think it's important to remember that wool or synthetic, there are different weights and your own personal experience will dictate what is right for you...

I have various weights & materials - both synthetic & wool. I personally find I stay warmer in wool, but I sweat more also if I exert myself. I started out with 220 weight wool when I was tired of being 'cold' and found that just sitting still I still sweat especially in the groin area. so I went back to a midweight wool and am more comfortable. It has to be really darned cold for me to wear my 220 weight stuff... and I would never wear it if I knew I was going to be hiking/stalking a lot.

if I know I am not going to be stationary, I'll wear synthetics. I'm unsure if that is because they wick better for me or are just not as warm so I don't sweat as much...

12. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was going between a heated vest or a heater body suit rolled the dice and went with the heater body suit I hope it is as all that. I have read I will report back at the end of the late season hopefully warm :nana:

13. okcaveman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hot natured as well. I got the 190 to try. Hopefully it'll work out for me. I actually expect to need more for on the stand though this should be good for early season or when I'm still hunting

14. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm on the flip side of most. Nothing, IMO, performs better than natural fibers of merino for layers. But, there is a trick to it. For one, stay away from the "box" store merino wools and get the best quality stuff you can find. I went with Minus33 in their heaviest weight. Its thick, and very, very warm. But, I will not use this as my first layer because it kind of defeats the purpose of a base layer. I have another Merino layer that is a silk or light weight. I wear this next to skin to wick away moisture. That, IMO is the key.

I've tried all sorts of things in the past. UA, in my honest opinion, is over priced and not well suited for stationary activities. It just never worked from of all the pieces I had. I always ended up feeling as though I was in a garbage bag.

15. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Against skin is a Patagonia Merino 2 zip neck then over the top is UA cold gear with the scent control...then if its real cold I go Patagonia R4 fleece then my outer shell if its moderately cold I have a windproof thin fleece turtle neck that I wear under shell. I love Patagonia or Smart Wool for my merino layers...but I am sure there are other good ones. The Patagonia R4 fleece is the warmest lightest fleece I've ever had. I also recently started using a Cashmere...yes I said it...a Cashmere hat that my wife made me out of old goodwill cashmere sweaters and man that thing is light weight and warm...if I find a thin cashmere sweater I might pick it up for a nice light warm layer.

16. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ogres, like onions, have layers....

17. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Most of my base is now Merino, but I do have one set of synthetic. Merino and fleece mids, outer layers are various materials lol

18. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would really like to know everyones specifics... Currently I'm using junk for base layers, etc but have no idea what to look at as there is so many different brands, weights, etc.

Anyone care to share each layer with the brand, etc?

19. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Must be more specific to the weather conditions you would like to hear about.

20. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in central MN so it varies so much... Lets say down to 20-30 degrees. With some wind thrown in there.