Hanging my first tree stand

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by dannyj, Aug 23, 2015.

1. dannyj

dannyj Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be hanging my first tree stand this year. It's a big boss tree stand xl. I bought a ratchet style strap as an extra measure of safety to strap below the seat around the tree in addition to the straps that came with it. The strap is yellow. Can anyone tell me if the yellow strap would be a problem? I wasn't sure if it would draw attention or if I shouldn't worry about it.

2. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It shouldn't be to big a deal. But what u may look into is a lifelines for your stand that way your hooked in from the time you go up that tree till you come down Hunter Safety System makes a good one or you can make your own. Good luck getting it up!!!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  3. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It won't matter dude, unless you are hiding it from people too. Just be sure you have a good safety harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

^THIS^ Like Jeffrey Jones said make sure you use a Lifeline,. Also, using a Safety Harness and Lineman's belt makes hanging them So Easy. Good Hunting this year!!

5. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If it worries you hit it with some spray paint or buy one thats camo. Have fun.

6. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Harness is a no brainer, wear it! I highly recommend a lineman's belt for hanging stands to free both hands up. A lifeline is also handy for extra security. I also use ratchet straps to secure my stands. You can buy camo ratchet straps at almost any store's automotive dept. I think I paid $5 a strap for mine at Walmart and there rated to over 300 lbs. Just make sure if you leave your stand out all year that you loosen the straps when the season is over so the tree can grow into it. I learned this the hard way after leaving a few stands on a property I didn't hunt one year and when I finally hunted there, my straps were nothing more than a few threads.

7. dannyj

dannyj Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the great answers. I do have a Hunter's Safety system lifeline and a lineman's belt from the same company. I just ordered a new harness from HS systems - I don't care much for the harness that came with the stand. The wife was none too happy about my tree stand till I told her about the lifeline. I'm thinking about eventually getting a two man stand and getting a double lifeline for my son to start hunting with me.