Thumb release

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jacob1, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm thinking on switching to a thumb release. Any advice or recommendations? 3or 4 finger?

2. SparrowHawk

SparrowHawk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a 3 finger and prefer it over the 4. Any shops around that you could go shoot a couple and see what you prefer?

3. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I Bought and tried the trufire edge 4. its a nice thumb release and isnt to expensive. I ended up not liking it as much as the wrist wrap. so i went back to my old release

4. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Scott exxus is a good one. Like my just b cuz more though. I hate 4 finger releases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the trufire hardcore 4 finger and love it, helped me tighten my groups up significantly at longer distances. I still shoot multiple times a week with my wrist strap and plan on carrying it in my pack incase anything were to happen but for now I'm sticking with my 4 finger.

6. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    switching to my old 4 finger tru ball chappy boss this year. if things get weird i'll go back to my wrist strap.

7. ILbowhunter

ILbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My favorite thumb release is the STAN Shootoff. As with all STAN releases, no trigger travel at all, and it can be adjusted to suit your preferences. They are very comfortable to use. I use a 4 finger, but find myself usually only using 3 fingers.

Whatever, you do, don't just go buy one of the cheap Trufires or Truballs (Max 4 etc) to try one out. All thumb releases are not made equal! If you buy a better release, it will be more comfortable, and have a lot cleaner shot. Then, if you decide it's not for you, it would be easier to sell in the classifieds here or on Archerytalk.

8. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a Carter Chocolate addiction and LOVE it!

9. Johnny Miller

Johnny Miller BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Jacob,

I'm shooting the Hot Shot Vapor 4 finger this year and absolutely love it. Totally adjustable tension and thumb settings. And sooo clean at release. Such a better release than the tru fire I was shooting at times before. I've always used a wrist strap/post style release for hunting and am going to try using the Vapor this year. BTW Do you guys that use thumb releases for hunting leave them hanging on your string loop on your bow or keep them in your pockets?

10. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think most releases are good today. just personal preference.

11. nwmono

nwmono Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hot Shot Vapor 4 finger is my go to release. Very smooth and quiet.

12. turkish621

turkish621 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Switched to a thumb release this year and love it. Bought my Stan "used" from archerytalk and saved $50. Thing looked brand new to me.

13. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    My first piece of advise is to make sure you have plenty of time to practice and get comfortable with it before going hunting. We're getting pretty close to season now and it's a major change to the way you shoot. Expect your anchor point to change, your sight position to change, and be ready to tough it out through some frustrations along the way.

Having said that I've shot both the 3 finger and 4 finger styles and personally prefer the 3 finger. I'm currently shooting and plan to hunt with a Hot Shot Vapor this fall. If you're looking to get started with a thumb release I think the Vapor is a great option as it somewhat bridges the gap between a standard wrist-strap release and a thumb trigger, and it won't break the bank. Most places are selling them for around $70.

14. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a 4 finger spot hogg whipper snapper but I should've gotten the 3 finger because I tuck my pinky in anyway. I had to change just about everything because of the different anchor but after getting used to it I shoot more consistent and am able to get surprise releases every time.

15. archer2

archer2 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I switched to a thumb release this summer after shooting a normal wrist index finger release my whole life.
    I was anticipating a nightmare with the change, but actually settled in after about 30 shots.

I had to raise my peep and kisser button and then I was shooting better groups than ever at 40 yards. I did lose a couple arrows by accidently touching the thumb trigger, but now after 2 months I wouldn't dream of switching back.

I bought the Spot Hogg Whipper Snapper 4 finger and really like it. Going to be a great quiet release for hunting.

16. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was instantly a better shot with my thumb release. It felt way more natural. In my opinion it is a better all around hunting release as well. They are quieter (no velcro or buckle to bang), faster to draw with (don't have to hook up to d-loop, it's already hanging there), and they allow you to be hands free in the tree.

I started with a Stan SX2 but now currently shoot a Carter Too Simple, and it has been by far my favorite release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I tried one about 10 years ago and absolutely hated it. I have been thinking about trying one again. Maybe this winter I will.

18. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the tips/advice. Maybe I will go show this weekend!

19. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^THIS! I shoot a very similar release in a 3 finger and think Carters are top notch in terms of quality and function! Mine is a Carter Chocolate Lite and I LOVE it also! I have been wanting to try out a Hot Shot lately but until I do, I'm sticking with Carter!

20. wrkdvr

wrkdvr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Does carter make a three finger release for archers with smaller hands? I've been kicking around the idea about trying them as well.