What all changes with crossbow hunting?

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by cls74, Aug 22, 2015.

1. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not looking for the benefits of it, or negative comments on ease compared to vertical bows. I refuse to miss deer season, and if that means crossbow or completely blowing out my shoulder so be it.

I haven't ever shot a crossbow until late last month, so have never had one in a hunting situation. Just curious what to consider that I may be missing.

I've bought some disposable bolts to use for unloading, but that could turn expensive if I am able to use tree stands this season. Slow days I can change stands 3-4 times.

Using a WR Invader, it has a safety and dry fire inhibitor. Is this enough to raise and lower it by the stock with it still cocked back? I'd probably come up with a velcro strap to keep an unloading bolt incase of accidental release or something.

Do you hold the crossbow in your lap or hang it like a normal bow?

Just wondering if there are some not so obvious differences that I might be missing after getting into stand.

2. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just remove bolt when climbing and pulling it up. Be careful. Dont forget a discharge target in your truck. Use one of tour less expensive bolts just for unloading when your hunt is over. I hung min from ez hanger by the foot ring. I will not say its near as hard as vert. Bow hunting but it does present its own challenges. I was in same situation as you. I took some flak but didnt care. If it comes down to sitting in a stand with a xbow or sitting at home on the couch......well you know the rest.

3. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've had to use one for the last couple of years and the biggest difference for me was the crossbow not being as maneuverable.

I had always set my stands in hopes of shooting deer behind my tree and with a crossbow, that is next to impossible to do. I ended up having to reposition most of my stands for shots in front of them.

4. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Carbon Express makes a bolt for unloading that you shoot into the ground. I liked it so much that I went ahead and got a backup.

5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I bought, have even heard some people use them to shoot small game or coyotes rather than risk their hunting bolts :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/TEN-POINT-XBOW-UNLOADING-BOLT/dp/B005BSNSLY

But $8 for 6 of them could make for a bit more expense as much as I move around.

6. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Yea i had some of those. Doesnt take long to run out lol. I just got used to throwing a block in the back of my truck. As far as decocking when moving to another stand, i just removed the bolt and was very careful when pulling it up with rope. With the safetys on those things i felt pretty comfortable with it.

7. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    I had those but kept losing them in the ground!

8. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Also make damn sure there are no obstructions when your limbs are released.

9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I tell people at work.

People compare it to a rifle, which as far as having to load/draw is a fair statement. But one thing I have noticed in my limited shooting is there is a bit more to it.

Most of the weight is FOC, waiting for a target to step out from behind an obstruction freehand is harder than a rifle and not as hard as holding 20% of 70 lbs back, but it does have it's disadvantages.

Second thing is using it like a rifle, if you prop it against the side of a tree, you have to be sure of not only limbs ahead of you, but also anything that may be near the limns to the side. Compounds you really only worry about above and below contacy points. Now a small limb or tree on the other side of the tree you are resting against could cause problems.

Lastly, I won't have this problem, but a lot of rifle hunters like to make an L with their non trigger hand to balance the barrel and such. This puts the thumb straight up. 4 years ago my uncle damn near severed his thumb taking a shot. Seeing that swollen and scabbed over thumb looking thing has stayed with me until now :lol:

10. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Another disadvantage for me at least is the scope. Where i hunt i am taking 20yrd and less shots. I find it hard to find my point of aim with even a low powered scope

11. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Keep both eyes open and move the scope in front of the eye you sight with.
    One problem I have run into is shooting around a tree. With a crossbow you have most of your body and 2/3 of the bow out from behind the tree. The crossbow is horizontal and all nature is vertical so regular bow I don't think would be recognized by a deer as a crossbow is.

12. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For a discharge bolt get some old aluminum shafts and fit with a knock that fits your xbow and grind the field tip flat on the end... add a small flat washer behind the point slow it down in the dirt. For a target get some old carpet about 18 inches wide and roll it up till about 18 inches in diameter then tie with rope. It will not blow out of the truck and no one is likely to steal it.

I have two ladder stands with gun rails and they make it easier to keep it in my lap. Xbows are awkward at best. When in a blind make sure the limbs will not slap the sides when you shoot.

Make sure you FOC is about 15% and heavy is better than light on the bolts. Dang good back stop when practicing.