Target Arrows

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Coop, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know a few guys here are accomplished target archers. I recently picked up an entry level target bow (Hoyt Freestyle). It had 50-60# limbs but also came with 40-50# limbs so I put those on due to back and bicep issues. These will allow me to shoot longer without pain. I have it set at 50# (well technically 50.3#) and 27.5" draw length.

So I am looking for suggestions on arrows for shooting targets only. I will mainly shoot targets at home, then some indoor this winter and "maybe" 3-D next year. Since this won't be anything serious, just casual shooting, I would like to just buy one model of arrow. Thanks.

2. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you are shooting indoor and maybe 3D next year, I would suggest fat shafts.

If you could be a little more specific with what you wnat your setup to accomplish, it would be much easier to narrow it down for you as there are so many choices. Examples being you are trying to retain as much speed as possible, speed doesn't matter, also budget as target arrows get pretty expensive.

3. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The ideal indoor and ideal 3D arrow are two very different setups.

If I had to compromise on a single arrow setup that would serve both purposes I would probably go to a medium-size x cutter style of an arrow that would weigh around 300 gr. The Victory X-Ringer HV or Goldtip X-Cutter would be two that I would initially look at for the set up. I would probably try to get the Victory setup to work just because it will be lighter and you will need that speed for 3D with your lower poundage setup.

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not really worried about budget (not X10 range of course lol). I figured I would get 6 to start in case I need to change it up. At 50# this bow is pretty slow so retaining some speed wouldn't be a bad thing. It isn't really a priority but most 500 spine arrows seem pretty light anyway, but I am used to hunting arrows. I am interested in the "fat" shafts for some reason. Thanks man.

5. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    To be honest, you would be better off running two different arrows for both setups. I really doubt that you will get enough speed to successfully shoot 3D unless you're going to shoot marked yardage.

Personally, I think GoldTip is the best target arrow money can buy. They're so tough and shoot unbelievably well.

If you insist on having one arrow for both, check out the Gold Tip series 22. You can get them down near 300gr with 80gr points and they'll shoot very well.

If you want different arrows for indoor, get the Gold Tip Triple X's. That's the biggest shaft you can get!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Matt, in all honesty I doubt I will shoot 3D with this bow. That is why I put maybe in quotes in my original post. More than likely back yard paper and indoor for fun. I know how I am, and if I like target at all I'll have a much better bow by the end of winter lol.

Those series 22 and triple X's both seem pretty stiff. Would I be able to get decent flight out of this bow?

7. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Short answer, yes!

Those arrows are too stiff for everyone but they shoot and tune amazing. Don't worry so much about spine for a target setup. Levi shoots Triple X's for 3D and has won 8 Shooter of the Years in a row.

The stiffness and wall thickness of these arrows are a huge factor in them being so tough.

Just remember, the bigger the shaft, the bigger the vanes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks!

9. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I should have updated this. I got a super deal on 6 Easton Fatboy arrows plus a dozen new in package Beman 9.3 shafts (Beman used to sell these, they were Fatboy's that didn't meet tolerances). For my shooting in the yard they have been great. If I step it up next year with a new bow I will probably look into difference arrows as these are both 500 spine and I hope to bump up to 60# next year instead of 50# for my target bow.