Yikes!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by grommel, Aug 21, 2015.

1. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    :mad::mad: EEEEEEEGGGGGAAAAADDDDSSSSS!!!!!! After shooting my bow a lot last week with no pain in my shoulder from my shoulder surgery, hitting the target out to 40yds, pretty much dead on, I took today off from work for a nice relaxing weekend. Well, I head out to the range this morning, OMG, huh! Looked like a dude who picked up the bow for the first time, shoulder pounding, off on my mark, just disgusted!! I feel like I wanna Cry!!. Well, not that bad, but am I the only one who has been this miserable after a target round????? Talk me off the roof my friends!:mad:

2. creed1

creed1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Chalk it up to a bad day shooting and be happy it happened on a target vs. a real deer. Keep on shooting!!!

3. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't put to much concern on todays practice but I would learn from it. Surgery regardless of what kinds take different amount of time to heal for everyone. 2 years later after knee surgery and I am still having a lot of issues with it and back in therapy for my 4th time. I would erase any thoughts of draw weight and just dial it down a bunch. As long as it is at a legal weight for your state who cares how much weight you are pulling. Dial it down as far as the bow will go and just take your time and work your weight back up. You will be able to shoot a lot more and you will be surprised how fast you will get back to your original draw weight! And you won't be having emotions like you are now! Good luck and keep us posted!

4. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Shooting when under that much discomfort in your shoulders is never a good idea in my mind. Take a few Ibuprofens and let the shoulder recover.

5. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree!
    Ferg's best post ever!!!

6. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have you continued doing Rotator cuff exercises after finishing PT? Almost every day I run into people you have rotator cuff surgery and think that once the the Physical Therapy is over that nothing more is required. Unfortunately, the shoulder to a fragile joint and continued exercise is necessary to avoid future flare ups and potentially undergoing surgery again. Take a couple of days off from shooting and get back into doing the exercises two or three times per week.

7. Battle734

Battle734 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i would not shoot for a bit. tend to your shoulder and baby it a bit. the worse thing you can do is shoot injured and start forming bad habits. i had the same issue when i messed up my AC joint in my shoulder a few years back. i was stubborn and shot through the pain but noticed i was starting to change my form to reduce pain. in the end i was less accurate that year. give it a little time. Ice Ice Ice!

8. grommel

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the incouraging words! I will keep you guys updated, just got myself a little down this morning, i`ll bounce back, thanks a million. Glenn

9. grommel

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice, doc took out my AC joint, just feels different now! Again, thanks a bunch

10. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Last time I went out and shot I was less than impressed with my groups at 40 and 50 but I know I can do better so I will next time.

11. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Take Care of it. If you push to hard you could screw up a lot more than just this season. Like was said back off on the poundage. Good luck.

12. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It happens to us all. One day I'm smoking heart shots at 20-50 yards the next day I'm barely hitting inserts. That's why we practice brother to keep getting better and better but we all will have a bad day once and a while. Keep shooting and enjoy the day no matter what!!

13. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't feel bad... after my first round of shooting a few weeks ago, I went out the second day and shot two (yeah... two!) through the side of the garage. The War Department was not too pleased to say the least (and neither was I actually) :busted:

14. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Take it easy, I would assume some soreness would be expected but don't overdo. Some great advice already given. We all have bad days shooting but take care of the health issues then the shooting will come.

15. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pace yourself and take it easy. The human body is a complex machine and just needs time. We all have bad days and you coming back off an injury is in the back of your mind. Let your body tell you when its time to stop. If the should starts to throb put the bow down and come back later or extend the periods between shots giving your shoulder a good break between. You'll get back to where you were or maybe even better just hang in there. Keep at it!

16. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    LOL wasn't the garage behind you Jerry.

17. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's COLD man... just plain COLD. :throw:
    I am literally laughing so hard tears are in my eyes. :tu: And from a Team Mate no less!!!

18. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I suffered a broken shoulder about 16 yrs ago. I can just now draw a bow again. I ordered an elite energy 32 60# 28.5".... i have it dialed down to 53#. Coming from a weightlifter that can lift decent amounts of weight in the gym but cant draw **** for weight when it comes to a bow..... dont worry about your draw weight and dial it down. If you injur yourself again itll take 2x as long or worse permanent damage.

19. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hang in there buddy. After my back surgeries and then my bicep surgery, my shooting was always sporadic while you rebuild your muscle memory and form. Just don't don't push it and you'll be back to normal before you know it.

20. grommel

Dislikes Received:
    Your absolutley right, I too can lift weights, but drawing my bow, wow!!