The Ups and Downs of Trophy Management

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Wild America, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Wild America

Wild America Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It can be very frustrating trying practice whitetail/trophy management on your property, while the landowners around you drop the first deer with antlers they see. Because of this, our hunting ground and the surrounding areas have little to no mature bucks, yet an over-abundance of does. Over the past 5 years, I have made it a point to pass all bucks under the age of 2.5 and only take does. Although I have encountered several young bucks, this practice has prevented me from filling a buck tag. My frustrations would keep building every season and I'd constantly ask myself, is the effort and sacrifice really worth it?

Last year my practice was put the test. With my frustration at an all time high, I was contemplating throwing everything out the window. I kept encountering a 2.5 y/o buck throughout the season, but he would never come in range. I told myself that if he came in range, I'd take him. Well, the opportunity finally presented itself late in the season. I had him broadside in my crosshairs at 60 yards with my muzzleloader. As hard as it was, I backed my finger off the trigger and watched him walk.

Just a few days ago, I went back to the same woods where this buck encounter took place last season. I pulled the sd cards from my cameras, pulled the photos up on my computer, and there he was... the buck I passed up last year... and he blew up into a giant! This was definitely reassuring. Although nothing is set in stone, my hopes are high for this season.

So...back to the question. Is trophy management and all of the ups and downs that come with it really worth the sacrifice? I believe so, but only time will tell.

(Note: the first photo is the buck I passed up last year and second and third photos are of him this year.)

SUNP0031.jpg WGI_01872.jpg WGI_01892.jpg

2. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do not look at it in that light at all.

I do not pass deer to manage them. I pass deer because they are not what I am looking for. Means nothing to me if it walks past me and the guy next door takes him. If he is happy, I am happy for him as not everyone has the same goals.

If you worry about what everyone else is doing, you are not focusing on what you should be doing.

Good luck chasing that buck.

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with Buck....however am I the only one that thinks that deer may be a 4 1/2 this year? Could just be my eyes or his skeletal genetics but his length length, neck to brisket nearly say underdeveloped 3 year old last season....

4. Wild America

Wild America Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for the response. I agree that everyone's goals are different. I guess that is just one of those outside factors that I cannot control. I do, however, feel that this largely impacts me trying to obtain my goals. Along with the ag fields, I have incorporated several food plots, a pond, sanctuary/bedding area, apple orchard, as well other habitat improvements. The downside is that this is only on 80 acres of ground. The way I see it, there is only so much one person can do. To me, I feel as if I'm only left with two options - I either expand my property or get all local hunters on the same page...

This is something I think about every year. While I largely think about what I can do to improve my odds of harvesting a mature buck, I find it hard not to think about the things that might be preventing this from happening.

Just for clarification, I understand where you're coming from and am not trying to start an argument. Just trying to put in to words what my perspective is. Any insight on the matter would be greatly appreciated and best of luck to you this season, as well.

5. Wild America

Wild America Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Could very well be. I was just basing that off of the 3 years of known history I've had with him.

6. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Believe it sucks, but as Buck said nothing we can do. Last year I passed a beautiful 2 1/2 120 inch 8....he died less than 5 minutes later. So I get how much it can suck at times.

I noticed you said you have 80 acres....trust me I've seen guys change their entire localized hunting environment with only 40 and some with 20.

It always makes it easier if more are on the same page, but sometimes it is tough to do. I'd especially focus on daytime bedding and daytime feeding spots on your 80 acres...that will truly make it possible for deer to be on your place when hunting light exists more...and less on others. Just know the more you do and increase this the "harder" the place can become to hunt, every habitat decision should be thought through from placements to how plots curve or travel corridor impact of every fallen tree.

7. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Just as a reference for a little goes a long way. We have just 10 acres of land we can cut/plot/do whatever to at my parents....we've made that place a safe haven for daytime activity. Sure our work has helped neighbor's from time to time and a couple times on some quite nice bucks...but even our little pocket has been improved enough to up our odds.....an 80 acre canvas of land would be a blessing to have brother...don't get discouraged. Just keep asking yourself what more can I do...and always think of the next step or next year.

8. Wild America

Wild America Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I should have specified that only about 40-50 is "huntable", but you're right. Every year I have been making improvements to the property and I feel I am seeing noticeable change. Hopefully in time, I'll have developed some prime hunting ground - as long as the housing additions stop expanding... but that's a whole other dilemma.lol Thanks for the input.

9. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Housing developments can also assistant in movement predictability though. You may have to change or tweak travel corridors...hinging walls or cover or plots but it can assist at times too.

What is the other 30-40 acres? Open ag ground?

10. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are guys that get mad when they pass 140" to 150" deer and someone else shoots them.

11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    True statement...

12. Wild America

Wild America Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My grandparents house. It's pretty much all barnyard with a large garden, which my grandpa plants rye in for a cover crop from time to time.

13. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I look at it, anything I do helps the herd. Letting a buck pass and ending up not filling your tag is a crappy feeling, but so is shooting something and not having a tag when that 30pointer comes strolling by.

14. Gutpile323

Gutpile323 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My view is..and I'm from Maryland not Kansas... if one out of three bucks come back next year as true shooters then it's worth it. I'm not snooty at all but I'm only shooting a buck I want to shoot.

15. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My theory on this has always been that he has no chance to grow if you kill him, and your neighbors have no magical hunting powers. I have had great luck with letting them go and grow. If you let them walk, at least you give yourself a chance to kill them when they are bigger and older. The key to that entire practice is to give them a sanctuary to feel safe in. I only step foot in my sanctuary areas in the spring when I am shed hunting......period.

16. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have the strength to change what you can and the good sense to accept what you can't. You just got a pretty good payoff from your decisions, keep at it and enjoy what successes you earn. You know you're doing something right when deer like that are grown in your area. You never know what changes (good or bad) may strike your neighbors from year to year, all you can do is what you feel is right and hope they have a light bulb moment and figure out that if they align their actions more with yours that they will consistently have better deer to enjoy.

17. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think one of the biggest mistakes people make when trying to "trophy manage" is not changing you tactics. If you're seeing 1 and 2 yo every year simple not shooting isn't necessarily going to put 4 and 5 year olds in front of you, you'll just see 1 and 2 yo and occasionally stumble into and older age class. People have to hunt older age class animals to kill older age class animals, they act very differently.

18. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not trying to burst bubbles but I think "quality" management is for fitting. Trophy management is more for extremely high doe harvests and savings bucks until 5-6 years old
    We are in the same boat though, neighbors are trigger happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  19. Wild America

Wild America Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well stated. Thanks for the insight.

20. Wild America

Wild America Newb

Dislikes Received:
    "Trophy" in my eyes, but I agree. "Quality" improvement is definitely more fitting for my current aspirations.