Mid-Sized Truck Opinions...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by tynimiller, Aug 20, 2015.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So....I guess second part to the truck questions....

If I go with a truck and a 4x4....it will most likely be a Canyon/Colorado/Frontier/Tacoma/Dakota...and will be an extended cab if not a 4 door if price is right.

I've owned a Dakota and liked their feel....yet we're talking an old 99' model one. I've also driven a buddy's Tacoma and loved the feel.

My question is for anyone with experience driving at least 2 of these models and how they compared. We're talking no older than 2009 probably...as I will most likely afford a 2009 or newer when I pull the trigger.

***I love Fords...but right now just feel the Rangers simply don't offer the size I want feel wise...just feel so tiny, but change my mind.

Again thoughts appreciated.

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All I can offer is don't buy a Nissan. I've been in all of the trucks mentioned and the Toyota is the nicest truck by a long shot, but you will definitely pay for it. Everyone I know that has owned a Tacoma and chose to keep them long term has been able to put 200K+ miles on them without major repairs..........

3. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I put almost 190000 on my old crew cab Z71 Colorado with no major problems before I got rid of it. I did have a couple repairs of $50 or less though.

That's excluding new plugs and such at 100k when I did a tune up. I can also say I beat that truck up towing campers, boats etc.

If I didn't need more space and towing capacity I would have likely bought another.

4. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Why not Nissan? I got a softball buddy with a 2013 Frontier and he swears by the thing...granted he drives on only roads with his and it I think only has like 60K miles on it so far.

5. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Nice, I've only heard good things from guys about their Colorado's. I don't haul anything bigger than our 8 foot wood trailer with an ATV or a lawn mower on it usually so towing capacity wouldn't be an issue....I could see how the shorter bed may hamper me a couple days but in those instances if things need done I can always slap the trailer on I guess and do it still.

6. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Also Buckeye...you Colorado was the 5 cylinder variety or 6....if I understand right offered in both. What year did you own?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  7. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It was a 2005 the 5 cylinder was the largest motor offered that year.

I bought a 4x8 utility trailer to use if I needed more cargo space. In fact a lot of times I used the trailer rather than the bed anyhow when getting dirt, river rock etc since I wouldn't have to unload it right away.

8. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have owned two canyons. 2005 2wd with the straight 5 and a 2011 4wd with the 5.3 v8. Put about 115 on the 05 and 76 on the 11. Both where crew cabs. Only problem I had between the two was having to replace the front hub/wheel bearing on the 11. Both where great truck in my opinion only thing I complained about was bed room. First thing I would do if u get a crew cab is get cap for it.

9. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    awesome to hear bud....The Canyon/Colorado are definitely starting to look like more of my option should I go with one of these as my big purchase and buy a cheaper side commuter car (01-04' Honda) for cheap.

10. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    There great running trucks that's for sure. I know 3 other people that have them and have to be getting clos to that 200 mark. haven't heard of them having any issues either

11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    you have the 5 cylinder models as well?

12. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There was one major problem for a couple years. Something with the aluminium head on the 5 cylinder where they wore uneven causing them to burn oil due to a design flaw. I think it was only in 2004 and 2005.

13. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Good friend of mine that is a mechanic told me to avoid the 04' and 05' (he said if he remembered right)...wasn't sure why wonder if this is the reason. Otherwise he said they're awesome trucks.

14. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am sure it is the reason. The affected trucks start puffing huge amounts of smoke on start up from oil running down into the cylinders.

15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Isn't that called rolling coal :evilgrin: bahaha!

16. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 2014 Tacoma and love it.

Had it in the body shop for a rock dent repair and was given a 2015 Frontier to drive for 4 days. Compared to the Tacoma I did not like it, the steering was looser and the overall feel sitting in the drivers seat made it more like a car than a truck.

The great thing about a Tacoma is it holds it's value better than any other midsize truck on the market. Huge factor if you don't plan on keeping it forever. I've heard stories of people that have their 3 year old Tacoma's totaled and insurance paid them equal to or in some cases more than what they paid.

The biggest issue Toyota has had of late has been rusted frames, they actually have a recall on them and are replacing frames with dime size or larger holes free of charge and covering rental fees during the wait. So far that is only valid for the '06-'11 models, and is yet to be determined on the '12-'15 models if it still exists, they blamed it on the frame manufacturer using the wrong alloy.

Just one thing to keep in mind if looking at used Tacoma's especially private party sales.

17. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Are they doing this for any current owner or only if original owner? May have to keep that in mind! Thanks for the heads up!

18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's for the truck not the owner, 9 year old trucks running around with new frames.

There is a catch to it, Toyota sent service campaign letters out to current owners. I believe it had a deadline to be inspected. A lot of owners waited until the end to take them in in hopes of getting a new frame vs the spray coating.

Might be a good idea to run the VIN through a dealer to see if it was inspected if it doesn't have a new frame just to be sure. Pretty sure if they missed the deadline to have it inspected Toyota was waived of any liability.

19. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Every one I know has the 5 cylinder ones.

20. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure where I heard they did a run of 6 cylinders. Good to know bud! HEAL UP!~