N00b

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by JohnxPerez, Aug 20, 2015.

1. JohnxPerez

JohnxPerez Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all!

I've recently been going down to my local archery shop that has indoor shooting and got hooked. A buddy of mine goes bow hunting out in NM, I was invited but just not able to make it due to work and other traveling I'll be doing. Anyways I've been looking into buying my first compound bow. So far I've been reading up on these forums and others on the diamond infinite edge and the Bear Cruzer. Both seem solid for the price so now I'm just not sure which way to go. What would be best go down and try both and see which fits and feels better? What are your thoughts on these two bow?

Thanks !

2. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hi John :wave:
    Welcome to the site and forum.
    The answer to your question is, "Yes!"
    While you at the shop trying both bows... try others. You may find something else that just plain 'fits' you to a T (although both bows you mentioned are good.)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  3. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the forum!

Try as many bows as possible. You'll get a feel for what you like and what you don't.

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome! You have the right idea. Shoot the bows (possibly others as well), and see which feels best. If they feel the same and you shoot well with both, buy the cheaper one :tu:

5. JohnxPerez

JohnxPerez Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks ! I'll be going Sunday to the shop and see what they have to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site and to Bowhunting!!

7. Relentless

Relentless Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to this wonderful site, and lifelong sport of bowhunting/archery!

At risk of repeating everything that has already been said, I will add my own two cents;-)
    When getting ANYONE into their first bow, I have always had them try as many different makes & models as possible. As gltomp, stated, you need to find one that, "just plain fits." The only thing limiting you is the budget you may have set aside for this purchase. However, I found a bow that was less than $250 brand new, and got my dad into it about seven years ago; he is still shooting the same bow today. It just fits him.

Also, My son has the Diamond Infinite Edge package and upon setting it up for him and then attempting to tune it, I have found there to be some cam timing issues. When I researched what I was experiencing, I found I was not alone. There were quite a few people out there with this same issue. This is not something to be terribly concerned about if you are dealing with an experienced pro shop tech. I hope it helps!

Good luck and welcome to the "Brotherhood"

8. Noblacksheep

Noblacksheep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I would go to the pro shop, and shoot the bows. If you're not planning on spending the next two months practicing to hit the late season, I'd save up some money, and buy a bow that feels right. Not only feels right, but a bow that you don't limit a price on. There's no need to go buy a Mathews No Cam HTR for your first bow. But keep your budget in mind, and if you don't plan on hunting soon, save a bit more, shoot multiple brands, and go with what feels right to you. There's so much to learn and I'm no expert.

What I did is I played the offseason. I knew I wanted a new bow. But I did not want to buy brand new. I waited until the 2015 models came out and they had knocked off the price of the 2014 bows. I picked up a brand new PSE Drive LT for $300 (bare bow) Then I added on sights, stabilizer, etc.

9. JohnxPerez

JohnxPerez Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That's good info thanks !

Yeah I'm not going out this season I thought about it but I'm just going to wait.

I'll be going back to the pro shop and will be trying a few bows until I find the right one and it will give me time to save the extra bit and do some more research.

Thank You.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome.