Preliminary Vehicle Question?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by tynimiller, Aug 19, 2015.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    K, next spring...maybe following I'm gonna be getting a new vehicle. It has raised the question in me of whether I need a 4x4 or just want one?

I've never owned anything except FWD cars and last two vehicles have been RWD trucks (Dakota and current 05' F-150). I've faired fine with our Northern Indiana winters..granted I add weight to the back and can't go everywhere I'd like at times; parking up by the farmer's house at the one property in the winter instead of driving back the iced up lane in fear of getting stuck...but nothing terrible.

I'm particularly interested in the thoughts from those that have switched from 4x4 to RWD or RWD to 4x4...honest thoughts real world thoughts and reactions you had on the change. I don't go mudding and I don't off-road more than down lanes or across fields really...

...thoughts.

Yes, I get it I'm :dan: if I don't get a 4x4...carry on with real thoughts.

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why wouldn't you get the 4x4? If you are getting a truck, isn't it just about the same price?

I can think of about 1,000 reasons to get 4wd, and none to not get it.

3. BigHoss

BigHoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What he said^^^

4. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Rick....it atleast isn't in my neck of the woods. Say for example I find a 2012 Colorado 4 door with 60,000 miles on it...lot has exact same truck in a 4x4 or RWD....you are easily talking $5K difference if not more.

5. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    As an example...if one searches 100 miles out from my area on a source like Autotrader and says parameters $18K or less, under 100,000 miles and automatic....RWD you get on average trucks as new as 2013 and lower miles correlation. You do the exact same search (but add 4x4)and you're talking 20008/2009 on average as the newest and more miles correlation.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  6. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Difference new between 4x4 and RWD truck is around 4K. Resale value for a 4x4 is far greater. If I had to go with a RWD, I would make sure it has a locking axle.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's one of those decisions that you will always regret. Wishing you had opted for the 4X4 truck. Do you need one, not 99% of the time, but it's that other 1% where you'll be kicking yourself.

I pretty much need one. I live on a gravel road that gets snow drifted over pretty often. I've even stuck my 4x4 in a snow drift that was above the headlights, but it's gotten me home a lot of time that a 2WD truck woudln't.

8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I've heard that about the locking axle...if I go this route I'll probably lean that way as well for the reason guys do.

Yeah I'd probably not even need it 99.5% of the time...but wondering if I'd regret it enough to warrant it.

9. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ty I think you answered your own question, it really is not needed.

10. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Another thing to keep in mind is that you are not going to loose the value of the 4X4 in resale, the truck will always be 3-5K more than any 2WD equivalent. If you plan on driving it until it dies, then that's not going to help you, but if you are going to resell it at some point, you'll get the majority of that investment back.

11. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Also, there's a much larger buying base of folks looking for 4X4 when you do go to resell it.

12. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    for that 1/2 percent of the time, you would probably be able to get by with a set of chains. Get a locking rear axle and chains and you will have a hard time getting stuck. A good set of actual Snow Tires makes a big difference also. Resale is the best benefit of 4x4, unless you plan on driving it until it dies.

13. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I recently got a new (to me) truck. It was so tempting to buy a RWD when I was shopping because of how much cheaper they were. If it wasn't for South Dakota's notoriously icy winters, though, I would've been all over a RWD.

14. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Part me says shutup...other part says I know. Freaking bugs me...whether I can put up with the handful of times I slap myself I should have just went with 4x4.

Re-sale value definitely the 4x4 wins...at times to a ridiculous point. This is why I've thought about buying a car/crossover and then in 2 or 3 years just buy an older 4x4 as strictly hunting/side vehicle.

15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Boof...so did you go from a RWD to a 4x4 with your new to you purchase? If so thoughts?

I no doubt want a 4x4 just curious if really truly worth it....this may be a circle discussion with no real end but I appreciate the thoughts fellas.

16. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    Downside of 4wd. I see more of them crashed in the winter than anything else. Drivers get overconfident. They don't understand that 4wd doesn't help at 65mph.

17. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    You know buying a car and then trading my now truck in towards a cheap $5K or less 4x4 doesn't seem like a bad idea. Especially since at times for work I gotta make runs to Indy.......

18. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    another option is the SUV/Crossover and get a trailer to haul with.

19. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Yup...that was my first thought, get a SUV that had AWD and call it a day.....still a consideration but we shall see.

20. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Went from '98 GMC Jimmy 4x4 to '07 GMC Sierra 4x4.

I'm a pretty big sally when it comes to icy roads, so having 4WD was basically a necessity. If I lived in a milder climate, though, I wouldn't have worried about it as much. Saving $5 K to go with RWD in your situation would seem worth it to me. Think of the leases you could grab with that money...