Arrow grouping to the left

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by dennyh69, Aug 18, 2015.

1. dennyh69

dennyh69 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm currently shooting a Bowtech rpm 360, trophy ridge react sight, smackdown rest, 27" draw,60#, paper tuned from shooter and to me. After bringing home, I shot it at 20yds and was shooting way to the left. Unfortunately, I can not adjust any more. I'm shooting really tight arrow groups basically at this range but not in the right spot. My question is if the bow is set up center shot and proper tuned how do I know if the bow is shooting correctly? I've took to 3 different places and said it could be the usual bow torque, eye dominate, spine issues. Totally frustrated at this point and can't find any advise to try. Any ideas might help.

2. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have you tried walk back tuning? It can point on whether your rest is slightly off or not.

3. dennyh69

dennyh69 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't yet. I've read too much about changing your center shot. I have paper tuned it and its shooting bullets. If I change my center shot won't it affect that?

4. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    If the bow is really tuned than walk back should verify that. If not, than you will find out.

5. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is something i'm learning as well. I've done a ton of reading over the past few days and i'm going to do the walk back tuning this coming weekend and then hopefully have my fixed blade broadheads shooting with my fieldpoints. I always use to think that once paper tuned it was the best it could be but after reading and others on here. Paper tuning is really a good starting point.

This article was a good help as well for me. Some articles were hard to understand really what to do but this one helped.

http://www.bowandarrowhunting.com/7-steps-bow-tuning-part-2/

When adjusting your rest, the key is moving it in extremely small increments. Especially with broadheads.

Some of this isn't related to your original question but I think the other guys are right as far as doing the walkback tuning to confirm your centershot is accurate.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  6. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I always start with a french tune.

Sent from my BlackBerry Classic using Forum Fiend

7. dennyh69

dennyh69 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I tried the walk back tune last night. Started at 10yds just to make sure the 20yd pin was sighted in. It was 2" off to the left, I adjusted the rest to the right maybe a 1/8" and that finally centered the 20yd pin. Backed out to 20 yards and seemed to be shooting better and then a couple of shots at 30 yards seemed to be shooting straight. I going to shoot more tonight at longer ranges to verify the new tune. My question is their something wrong with the bow? Its seems to me it shouldn't be off that far when it shoots thru the paper with bullet holes. Another thing I noticed was the top limb is tweaked to the right compared to the bottom limb when looking straight down over the bow

8. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    While I am not an expert on bows by any means, if you can visibly see an alignment problem I would definitely take it in and have it checked out.

9. dennyh69

dennyh69 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I tried to email Bowtech to talk to an expert and never got a reply. I'm really not impressed with their customer service. Oh well, I guess I can always try a different brand.

10. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't worry about changing your center shot. Paper tuning just gets you close and after that you still have to walk back and broadhead tune, some people even bare shaft tune.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  11. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I only have ever bare shaft tuned. And I don't have any issues. But you need to be a pretty good shot for bare shaft to be really effective.

12. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You mentioned eye dominance but is there a chance your left eye (provided you're RH shooter) is taking over if you have it open?? Reason I mention it is initially we found my wife was right eye dominant, however the more she shot we determined her left eye was taking over. She had a problem closing just her left eye so it was always open. Switched her to LH and problems went away.

13. unarmour15

unarmour15 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Bottom line, you need to move your rest. It can't be tuned right. There's just no way it would hit that far left if it was.

14. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a big fan of the modified French tune...it's similar to walk back tuning...really gets your rest dialed in. Hang a plumb bob(weight) on dental floss on your target and step back 5-6' and shoot/ adjust your sight til you hit the dental floss...then step back to like 10 yards then shoot a group. If your group is left of aiming point move rest right and vice versa if arrow group is right then bump rest left until you are grouping arrows inline with aiming point. Then go back up to 2 yards and shoot at the dental floss again...adjust your sight again this time until you hit the floss...then go back and shoot a group at 20 yards again move rest if needed this time likely only a small movement...then back to 2 yards, then 30 yards, then 2, then 40... You get the idea. I've also done this with a bare shaft at 2yards and yoke tune if you have a press. Good luck.

15. dennyh69

dennyh69 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So far I've used the walk back and its made huge difference. I've read so many articles on the importance of paper tuning I guess I never realized its just another step. But if you read some other opinions on the subject they say that it will diminishes the bows performance if you move the location of the center shot. I don't think I've ever seen anything from the bow manufactures to support this. Its quite maddening really, because how do you know if the bow is really shooting to its top performance? Especially when you can manipulate almost all of the components?

16. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    No bow is performing optimum of you can't put an arrow where you aim. I could see with a biscuit or other rest where the arrow is in contact with the rest more that being center would have greater impact on the performance, but not with a drop away.

Also, what are you using for a release? If not releasing cleanly it could also impact arrow path, but I don't think as much as you are seeing.

17. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't expect Bowtech to reply on a subject like basic tuning issues. If they had to reply for every person that need help with basics they wouldn't have time to do anything else. Too many other options before calling the company.

18. Joe Collins

Joe Collins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Denny,

I'm pretty new to archery so I could be way off.(pros feel free to correct me) But I didn't see anyone else mention anything about how bow tilt can effect shot placement. Maybe you're tilting? It may be worth it to record yourself shooting and reviewing the footage to see if you're doing anything during the shot that could effect it in this way.

Good luck!

19. dennyh69

dennyh69 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would expect them too. Its called customer service and might make the difference between buying a bowtech or another brand. When I had a diamond and had issues with strings they contacted me right back and took care of the issue, in fact that's why I bought the bowtech.

20. Buckaholic84

Buckaholic84 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your center shot is probally off.