Food plot 101

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Noblacksheep, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Noblacksheep

Noblacksheep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I planted some red clover in July and it's grown well. It was more of a test to see how it would grow in the area I hunt. The deer are eating it. I was considering planting winter rye in December. I'm not too familiar with food plots. I'll be reading through the forums and some other literature. I am not able to use any farm equipment so a product that is simple and requires no tilling would be useful.

2. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you can kill the area off Turnips take very little work. Any type of small seed like that works well. The dead grass will hold the moisture to help the seed germinate.
    Good Luck.

3. ruteger

ruteger Guest

It's easy to overseed turnips (like I did this year (first year planting them)), so make sure you know how much seed you should be using for the size area you're seeding.

4. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yes it is!!.

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I usually mow the area with a push mower. Spray it with weed killer. Wait two weeks and got back in with a rake, lime fertilizer and seed. I rake the area to break up the soil broadcast some lime and fertilizer. Rake some more and then put down some seed. I usually use either turnips or a combo of rye, winter wheat and oats for a late season. Maybe some white clover. Generally those combos will produce for a short period. Good luck and take a few pics if you decide to go through with it.

I lately have been getting Antler King No Sweat.