What to plant & when?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by jfergus7, Aug 18, 2015.

1. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had two small plots that I had all intentions of getting planted back in the spring but we got so much rain this spring that I was just not able to make that happen. With fall approaching I want to get them in still and curious what would you plant for a fall plot and when should I look at getting them planted? I will be out at my farm this weekend getting the sites all cleared out and ready to go. Any suggestions?

Oh I am in NE Illinois. Temps right now are still in the mid-upper 80's consistently.

2. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We just planted some lettuce here in SE MN about a week ago. The deer will hammer that stuff to no end.

3. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just plain ole Lettuce....

4. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Apple Trees

5. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Brassicas will work if they are in the ground before 9/1.

You need to get the area sprayed with Gly now. Just buy a gallon size spray bottle of Roundup at Home Depot and get it on there like in the next day or two. You need a good two weeks to really get everything dead. Then you can spread seed around 9/1 and once the seed is down I'd then use a weedwacker to drop the dead standing stuff on top of the seed. Leave the dead stuff laying on top like straw on top of freshly seeded grass.

6. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not trying to disagree with Rick but if you are like myself, ROUNDUP is HIGH priced. You can get a 2 1/2 gallon jug of the generic concentrate at a farm store for much less. How big of an area are you spraying?
    We planted Crimson Clover, Kale, and Rape this past weekend. The previous weekend we planted WTI Oats, Crimson Clover, Turnips, and Kale. We'll see what they like.

7. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree and use generic too. I'm guessing though for Ferg he's planting a very small plot and may not have a decent sprayer to mix his own. For real tiny plots, sometimes it makes sense to just pay $20 to get a gallon or premix instead of paying for the sprayer and more concentrate than they will use in a few years.

8. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah just lettuce. It's not head lettuce though, my Dad calls it bib lettuce. He got a mix of lettuce, turnips and rape from the local seed house.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

9. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok...Thanks....ive got a bunch of that out now...dwarf rape...turnips....carrots....kale....oats....[​IMG][​IMG]
    Not come up yet.....but we got the rain yesterday...so it wont be long
    Thanks
    Jamie

10. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    To give you a great fall plot to hunt over along with a great food source in the spring, I would plant a mix of Winter rye, oats, radish and clover. Oats and winter rye will be a great early season food source and once the oats freeze out the winter rye will still be green throughout the winter. Deer will feed on the winter rye and radish during the winter months. Once spring rolls around, you will already have an established clover plot from the previous fall planting.